Need Help Diagnosing Engine Knock

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:09 am

Re: Need Help Diagnosing Engine Knock

And I'll send the clip to anyone who would like to have it, just PM me your email address.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:23 pm

Well, here's the update. I had to loosen the cylinder head bolts on the driver's side to get a little gap in the standoffs so I could slide the rocker arms over and pull the push rods. When I loosened the cylinder head bolts, I got some oil seepage between the head and block. And the #6 exhaust push rod won't come out with the cowl vent panel in place, so will need to remove that as well. There is some scuffing of the lifters, and pics are of #6 intake - the one where the banging stops if the feeler gauge is between the valve and rocker arm. With the micrometer, it seems the scuffing is not much more than a polish. I'm getting a .998 inch diameter. I don't have a gauge that will fit in the bore and allow me to lock it and get any kind of good measurement. Maybe the lifter bore is a little big and the noise is the lifter cocking in the bore, and maybe the lack of a valve lash makes it run more true??
P1100195.JPG

P1100196.JPG

P1100200.JPG

P1100202.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:02 am

Well??

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:29 pm

I replaced three lifters, those that looked the most scuffed and worn. Just brought it back from a short drive and adjusted the valves again. It's much quieter and doesn't have the distinctive knock that it did before, so I think that was the issue. I didn't pull the cylinder head and replace the gasket after loosening the bolts down the row that holds the rockers. I had a little oil seepage between the block an head, but that seems to have slowed, so maybe just squeeze-out. Watching for any signs of oil in the water or water in the oil, but the fingers are crossed. I know that putting a new lifter on the old cam isn't ideal, but it did make a difference. And a big thank you to all, and especially Cornbinder and Kevin, for encouragement and advice. I would guess there is some piston slap, and some other wear that's adding to the noise, but it is certainly better than it was.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Turn up the radio and find some music and speed that matches the rhythm.
https://youtu.be/a1ThSi1wbqU
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:50 pm

That might be the best advice of all, except that there's no radio. Just the sound of the tires against the pavement, the "hum" of the engine, and the view of the world through a comfo-vision windshield. Music enough for the soul.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:45 am

Great news , when I look to see what's going on in the world today , your truck , and others on this site , is on the top of the list . My truck had piston slap ,it was interesting when I tore it down to see what was causing the racket . When I saw your pictures it looked like you were on to something , nice work .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:32 pm

Here is a little something you might try. You could tie 18 inches of bicycle innertube to the end of the tail-pipe. As you accelerate, the exhaust will cause the innertube to make a farting sound. We did this to a disliked supervisor's new Diesel pickup. We used a section of motorcycle innertube. The sound of the exhaust had grown men bent over with laughter.
https://youtu.be/PT-ucSwdLZI
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:26 am

The latest update is this - I just finished a 5,100-mile road trip, and nothing fell out on the ground. Left Iowa on May 10, drove to Key West, Florida, and back on a more northern route, including the Tail of the Dragon. It still has the knocking noise when idling, but runs well otherwise. I've taken these road trips for the last 18 years, sending daily emails of the adventure. Well, the new email algorithms figured those mass emails were phishing expeditions rather than road trips, and shut down my email account. So I've set up a blog page at https://huschertrips.wixsite.com/website, and if you want to see this year's adventure, it's there. Thank you for all of the advice and encouragement in trying to diagnose the problem. Didn't get it solved, but sure felt more comfortable taking the drive.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 am

Thanks for the update . I would like to take my truck for a drive like that some day . Is it possible that the cam lobe is worn ? I have heard that the racing oil that has zinc helps prevent wear so as to prevent it , whatever it is , from getting worse .
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S