Door lock issue

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rex

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:50 am

Door lock issue

I have a 56 S170 cab I’m using for a swap project. After fixing the passenger outside handle so it would work properly, I realized I have no way to lock the doors from the outside!! What did these have for an exterior lock? And where would a guy find one if at all possible?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Re: Door lock issue

This subject has been discussed multiple times on this forum. On January 25. 2018, I posted the following. 28
The traffic laws in Canada and the USA required passengers to exit to the curb which was most often on the passenger side. All of my IHC doors are keyed on the right side only. Left door locking is not available. There were three or more outside suppliers of door latch and locks to IHC, with a Ford owned company being one of them. I posted pictures and some minor description of this situation. Use the forum search to find it.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:16 pm

Do you have a driver's side lock?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:59 pm

I recall, the handles will go on left or right side. I put one on my "S" in the early 90s other door so I would have one on each side. The key hole was reversed. Hopefully you can get one, other models use the same handle. I don't have my "S: manual anymore.
Some of the guys will chime in.

Rex

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:41 pm

No lock on either door. I take it the button locks when your outside the truck? I’ve seen locks on passenger side only before, just nothing on the outside of this truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:57 pm

I do not know if the later Comfo-Vision trucks had the lock in the handle. The early L&R locks are in the door and separate from the handle. If the earlier driver's lock and latch mechanisms do not have any parts that would make it lock. I may have a few pictures.
I do not remember the details, but, there was a time when I was thinking I could make the missing parts for the left side. It is all lots of time and some money. Someone had to make the first lock and latch units.
These trucks were made and sold in countries other than North America. I have wondered if it might be possible for the truck with right side steering to have a lock and latch for the left side. >98<
One of the members of this forum removed the OEM lock and latch and replaced it with a modern "Bear's claw" assembly.
Just about anything can be accomplished if a person is not limited by the nearly impossible notion of keep-it-all-original.
Attachments
door latches 8.jpg
door latches 7.jpg
door latches 6.jpg
door latches 5.jpg
door latches 4.jpg
door latches 2.jpg
door latches 1.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:26 pm

For the S series, the lock is in the pushbutton on the door handle. So all you need to do is swap the keyed pushbutton with yours that doesn't have the cylinder. Doesn't even require swapping the door handle. And you can put it on either side, just that the key will be "upside down" on the driver's side.

Rex

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:02 pm

PaulH wrote:For the S series, the lock is in the pushbutton on the door handle. So all you need to do is swap the keyed pushbutton with yours that doesn't have the cylinder.

Thank you! Now to find a keyed push button!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:57 pm

I think the same handle and locks were used on Scouts, Travelalls, larger trucks, etc., for quite a few years after the S series.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:40 pm

PaulH wrote:For the S series, the lock is in the pushbutton on the door handle. So all you need to do is swap the keyed pushbutton with yours that doesn't have the cylinder. Doesn't even require swapping the door handle. And you can put it on either side, just that the key will be "upside down" on the driver's side.

my L-110 with an S series cab has push button locks on both sides, it is upside down on passenger side, opposite of drivers side, not a big deal,
not sure if a passenger side specific tumbler is available or not.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Next

Return to L, R and S