6 volt to 12 volt

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:03 pm

6 volt to 12 volt

Hi everyone,

For years I've felt pretty determined and "proud" that my '54 R-120 is all original and still 6 volts.

One of my winter projects is to get a decent radio installed. As I've been researching the ways to power a 12 volt radio with an inverter, I got to thinking that maybe I should entertain changing the truck over to 12 volts. Kind of just looking for opinions on the pros and cons of keeping it 6 volts and converting it to 12.

also, I haven't even looked yet, but is there a conversion "how to" saved on our forum? I'll go look around right now......

thanks, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:20 pm

Re: 6 volt to 12 volt

If your truck is still 6 volt + ground, you'll need an inverter that can handle 6+ to 12 -. They used to be common, not sure anymore.
Radio chassie is often electrically connected, so if not isolated from the truck the + lead needs to be 18 volts above the 6 volt, in other words, between truck chassie (6+ ground) and the wire from the inverter, need to be 12 volt above that.
Back in the day it was common, but with - ground being the std for at least 50 years (often much longer than that) to have inverters that would go from 6+ to 12-. Just check before you buy.
You can convert to 6- easly with just a few changes, then you just need a inverter to 12-
Or you can look for a period correct 6+ radio.
Or you can change to 12- on the truck, and add a converter to supply 6 volt to the gauges and anything else you want to keep 6 volt.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:51 pm

Re: 6 volt to 12 volt

Minnesota Jeff, I brought my an original International radio to S & M Electro-Tech, Inc. in Blaine, MN. Greg restored the face and got all the buttons and knobs working, and then removed the guts an installed modern electronics with AM and FM. Per my request he designed it for a 6 volt positive ground input. Not cheap, but I sure like having the original (and working) radio in the dash. Just mounted some auto speakers under the seat. Their website is: http://www.turnswitch.com/ DonO

Return to L, R and S