Dash Knobs again

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:05 pm

Dash Knobs again

There is a thread here which apparently once contained a photo or drawing of the insides of the teardrop-shaped hollow brass knobs that control choke, throttle, lights, and wipers on LR&S trucks. There is a trick to properly removing and replacing these...A kind member in Canada apparently posted this, but the image seems to be gone.
Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:00 pm

Re: Dash Knobs again

I am the not so kind member from Canada who might have posted what you are looking for. Old age and terrible arthritis has made me what I am today.
Inside the knob there is a flat spring like piece that slides over the control shaft and locks. The only way to remove the knob is to stick a stiff wire in the provided hole in the knob and press the flat spring thingee toward the dashboard. This is the same procedure for the earlier "L" series knobs. You may have to push the knob toward the dashboard to help relieve the spring's lock on the shaft. Pulling on the knob only makes the spring like lock dig into the shaft more, unless it is pushed forward. I will continue to look for a picture and then post what I might find.
Tell us about your truck. Picture?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:05 pm

On :S: series the light switch knob and shaft is done different, you have to look for the hole under the dash on the switch itseft use a pic, wire it comes out. I will try and find a pic.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:16 pm

pic of light switch R series. Sometimes the lighter knobs has threads.
Attachments
A light swtch.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:18 pm

I found a You Tube video on this subject. The information should be mostly ignored. The inside pictures of the knob should help you.
One of the options I used to reuse damaged knobs is to install a RIVNUT in the knob after I drilled the knob opening to fit the Rivnut This works really well if the shaft can be threaded to fit the Rivnut. LOCTITE will hold the knob in place. A little heat from a small propane torch will help to loosen the LOCTITE. I would advise not using an anaerobic locking gel. This shyte is just about permanent. I have had to drill out fittings where anaerobic gel was used.
https://youtu.be/q-2qrltadT8
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:22 pm

kevin wrote:On :S: series the light switch knob and shaft is done different, you have to look for the hole under the dash on the switch itseft use a pic, wire it comes out. I will try and find a pic.

What Kevin is truing to say is, the light switch has a button on it. When this button is depressed it allows the control know to be withdrawn from the light switch body. Removing the knob from the shaft is the same, as I posted, for all early 1950s IHC trucks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:28 pm

You do explain things better than myself.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:08 am

loaded at Smith's 8 8 19.jpg
Thanks, all, for the great help!

This is all about a windshield-wiper motor upgrade, from the original vacuum motor to electric. I bought a motor that was intended for some modern rear-window wiper. Had to make brackets to mount it on the bar that connects the two actual wiper shaft bearing blocks so that the motor shaft would be in about the same location as the original, then made a rocker-plate to fit it (knurled taper), then put bearings in the ends of the pitman rods instead of the rubber and bronze hex block...and a bunch of other things Wanted to post a picture of the whole assy before I crammed it behind the dashboard, but my camera just died.

I CAN post a pic of the truck, which still works hard for a living

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:46 am

nikkinutshop wrote:
kevin wrote:On :S: series the light switch knob and shaft is done different, you have to look for the hole under the dash on the switch itseft use a pic, wire it comes out. I will try and find a pic.

What Kevin is truing to say is, the light switch has a button on it. When this button is depressed it allows the control know to be withdrawn from the light switch body. Removing the knob from the shaft is the same, as I posted, for all early 1950s IHC trucks.

What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean? With me that's the case.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:21 am

I have had some success removing these knobs. try inserting a pick into the hole and pry the tab "away" from the dashboard while gently pulling on the knob.

Return to L, R and S