T 98 transmission leaking

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:57 pm

T 98 transmission leaking

Hey guys, my T 98 is leaking. Just started leaking last summer and I figured sometime this winter I would address it. I was planning to pull it out and reseal it, but I got thinking that I should ask around here first and maybe save myself some work......

Do these trannys have “usual” leak culprits? Kinda hoping that maybe it’s just the side cover gasket or maybe a rear seal I can replace without removing it. Do they have a front seal? I’ve worked on other old manuals that don’t run a front seal, just rely on the direction of the input shaft to sling the oil backwards.

Thanks for the help

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:34 am

Re: T 98 transmission leaking

Hi Jeff, the T-98 does have front seal under the throw out bearing retainer. the rear seal as you say isn't to bad. Don't know if you have the brake on the back of the trans. I would see where it is leaking first. The front PN is 109119R91. number 41
Attachments
T-98.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 am

Re: T 98 transmission leaking

I've had leaks at the PTO cover plates, rear seal, and at the speedometer drive. The input bearing retainer does have a seal - IH #109119 R91, which crosses to a Timken 471413. The rear seal - IH #59586 R91 crosses to Timken 473463. If it was me, I'd re-seal the PTO cover plate and replace the rear seal with the transmission in. If that solves the problem, it saves a lot of work. I'd only pull the transmission if I was convinced it was the front seal causing the problem. The first thing I'd do is clean it all as good as possible, run it enough to just see what gets wet first, and go from there.

Return to L, R and S