Maxi fuse inline with battery

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:39 am

Maxi fuse inline with battery

Hello, has anyone added a maxi fuse inline with your battery? My L112 is stock other than the brake and 12 volt mods, I’m not sure what the proper size fuse would be....
T

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:53 am

Re: Maxi fuse inline with battery

I don't know what number of amps to throw out there on this one, but remember that on 6V, it takes twice the amps to do the same work as with 12V. If your truck is converted to 12V, the amperage draw would be roughly half the draw of 6V.

If your starter, for example, takes 1.2kw to operate [average 4-cylinder import starter], volts times amps = watts. So at 12V, it takes 100 amps to run that starter. At 6V, the same work would require 200 amps.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:13 pm

There is a reason you don't normally see a fuse in the main battery line. Assuming you are not talking about putting the starter current thru a fuse, if you have a fuse, and it blows while the engine is running, esp at speed, the voltage spike will take out anything electronic and any lights that are on at the time, may blow the diodes out of the alternator.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:38 pm

To be clear, I think adding more protection is a good thing, but protect individual circuits with fuses or CB that are appropriate to the load, don't use one big maxi fuse on the main battery/charge wire.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:17 am

Thanks for the replies, My truck has a fuse block installed. I just was concerned with the 2/0 unfused battery cable going to the starter.....other than that everything fused.
T

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:27 am

Starter cables are NEVER fused, nor generally are output from the alternator.
Fuses by definition have a higher resistance than the rest of the cable they protect. In rush current on a series motor can be very high.
Again, you don't want to fuse the output of the alternator as a voltage spike when the fuse blows will do more damage than a short will.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:04 pm

What would the purpose be to fuse the starter power feed? At 12V, starters will pull over 100 amps. At 6V, double that. If you even SUSPECT there's going to be a short-circuit on your starter feed circuit, INSTALL A NEW CABLE or REROUTE THE CABLE to avoid a short.

And when you're working on other items that don't require the electrical system to be activated, remove the ground cable from the battery. Until that's reconnected, there can be no current flow, and therefore you can't short anything out.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:47 pm

Yes indeed disconnect the ground lead . but if you don't then
Always remove your finger rings prior to fiddling around
your trucks hi current DC exposed cable terminations.
"exposed as in uninsulated"

this applies to low current stuff too severe burns happen all the time !

always be safe about it..

Nose rings should not be a problem ,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:48 am

Harvey,
I wanted to let you know that i tried sending you a private message but your messaging is disabled. All good.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:51 am

No need for private message safety is a topic that should
be shared with all .... wink wink, its all good :)

Take care.

Return to L, R and S