Dual Port Master Cylinder

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:49 pm

Dual Port Master Cylinder

So I've done an initial assessment of the brake/clutch "situation" on my recently acquired S-120. First thing first I contacted Desert Valley Auto Parts and have them sending me a "complete" pedal assembly - supposedly they will include everything related to the pedals from the pedals and shafts to all the linkage, etc. Will take a week or so to be pulled and shipped . . .we'll see what actually arrives.

The previous owner had included quite a stash of new parts for the truck, including pretty much everything for the brake system - shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, hoses, line, clips, and a master cylinder. Unfortunately over the past weekend some upstanding local citizen relieved me of the burden of storing those parts in the truck by taking one of the boxes - spring kits and master cylinder, and maybe some other hardware. Lord only knows what he thinks he's going to do with it . . .

So anyway, I find myself in the position of needing to purchase a master cylinder. I had planned to simply install the original type (since I had it) but now that I'm shopping I'm thinking there's a lot of merit to updating to a two circuit type. Has anyone done this on an otherwise stock brake system? And if so what application (or even better part number/manufacturer) did you use one from? I have to think a non-power dual circuit replacement should be a pretty easy update, worst case I'd have to fab up a mounting bracket to allow mounting a rear flange m/cyl.

And if anyone can suggest a part number/application/source for brake spring kits it would save me the trouble of doing the back-of-the-catalog this fits that, so that'll fit this thing . . .

Thank you for any advice/input/answers/suggestions

Gregg

On Edit - Since I'm posting I should ask - are there any members of the board in the south eastern PA vicinity? Would be nice to not be the only IH guy around . . . lol
Professional automotive tech, Volunteer firefighter.

1956 S-120 4wd pick-up

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:29 pm

Re: Dual Port Master Cylinder

You are the Professional automotive tech. Doing the back-of-the-catalog this fits that, so that'll fit this thing should be easy for you.
If I were going to do this again, I would be looking at similar pickups, like Ford of the same era and see what is available. There are lots of hot-rod sites.
You could start here. https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sxsr ... HwQ4dUDCA0
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:54 pm

I bought a dual port drum/drum master cylinder for my one ton, it was listed for a light duty 60s Dodge motorhome,
I never installed it and sold the truck, still have the master
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:02 pm

The Wagner online brake parts catalog shows the spring kit as H-7139, same as L-R-S-110: https://www.wagnerbrake.com/find-my-par ... ional~S122

That number is also the Raybestos spring kit number. Rock Auto sells it in the Raybestos brand.

As an old parts guy, it's the least I can do.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:38 pm

Thank you Buzzman, the old parts guy hand is much appreciated.

Hey Bedrockjon - is that old M/C still in useable condition? Might be just what I need . . .

Gregg

1956 S-120 4wd pick-up

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:28 am

LostDeere59 wrote:Thank you Buzzman, the old parts guy hand is much appreciated.

Hey Bedrockjon - is that old M/C still in useable condition? Might be just what I need . . .

Gregg

brand new in the box still, give you a good deal on it, click on my name and you can email me
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:52 am

You may have to move the linkage rod on the brake pedal to the other side depending on how you mount the M/C. I used a drum/drum corvette type.
Attachments
corvette 2.JPG
corvette 2.JPG (57.87 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
corvette 1.JPG

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:50 am

Very nice work Kevin

Where did you get that particular M/C? Do you recall the bore size?

Gregg

1956 S-120 4wd pick-up

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:37 am

I recall 1-1/8" is the stock bore, it's been many years back, some guys go a little smaller. Just so you know the steel channel which the original M/C was mounted on, I moved it back so didn't have make the rod longer. Also installed dual piston wheel cylinders on the front instead of the single piston wheel cylinders. The truck was sold last year.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Yes - the original is 1.125. Is that what you used, or did you also go to 1"?

I did notice you moved the original bracket - I was thinking the same on mine before I saw yours, you confirmed it is a neat solution.

Interesting about the front wheel cylinders. I haven't dug into the wheel brakes yet so I'm not sure what everything in there looks like. I did inherit all new wheel cylinders which will probably go on once I get in there. Did you find that changing to a double ended cylinder improved braking, or was the change not significant?

Gregg

1956 S-120 4wd pick-up
Next

Return to L, R and S