6v to 12v conversion - R112

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:54 pm

6v to 12v conversion - R112

I couldn't find anybody local with the VAT thingy you guys mention. I need to track down someone that really knows their stuff with these older 6v vehicles. I'm at the end of what I can do. I don't think I'm going to do this conversion. I'm just being curious. I know this would just be a band aid for why my truck is still slow cranking once it gets hot. And I really want to keep everything original.

Here's my understanding of what needs changed for sure: condenser, coil, ignition ballast resistor, headlights/bulbs, alternator, battery.

Voltage Reducer - Am I correct in saying I don't need this if I will not be using any of the original dash gauges or heater?

Solenoid - I've seen some do and some don't mention this as needing changed. Does it?

Am I missing anything?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Re: 6v to 12v conversion - R112

Any shop that can diagnose 12 volt can do the same for 6 volt or 24 or 48. As long as they know what to do and what to look for the voltage makes no difference.
Remember, IHC cranked the 450 CID RED on 6 volt, so your little 220 should be no problem.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:31 pm

ok I watched a youtube video on testing and dialing in a voltage drop at the starter. I'm gonna give that another go as I didn't do all these things before. What is an acceptable 6v system voltage drop, if any, at the starter when cranking?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:42 pm

As little as possible. 0.3 volts (1/3 of a volt drop)per connection would be the max I would accept and then only if you have very few connections. This has to be done when the starter is try to crank. Most bad connections will get HOT fast with a heavy load on them
Start checking from the battery post to the cable at the battery and work both the + and - side to the starter.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:19 am

I'm going to check voltage drop this weekend.

Another thing I'm going to try and look at better is timing. I pretty much set it by ear and then turned distributor counterclockwise a bit so it wasn't so advanced. In general terms, what is the best timing setting for these SD220's as far as running and also easier starting when hot? 5 degrees advance?

Return to L, R and S