Headlight inquiry

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:32 pm

Re: Headlight inquiry

cornbinder89 wrote:You want 7" round, either 6 volt if that is what the truck is running or 12 volt.
Choices are Halogen or not, sealed or H4 conversions. End of story.

There are also a plethora of LED choices out there - check any Jeep site since they use the 7" round headlight

Gregg
Professional automotive tech, Volunteer firefighter.

1956 S-120 4wd pick-up

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:51 pm

Yeah, I guess so but out of my budget, so didn't bother mentioning. 7" round is SAE spec, so any 7" round headlight will work. It is also PAR56 but that isn't the same as the SAE spec's, so any SAE 7" headlight is Par 56 but any PAR 56 bulb is not a headlight, clear as mud right?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:00 pm

For the person who wants something better and totally different than the rest, there is the 3SIXTY computer controlled and fan cooled replacement bulbs that fit an H4 system. The computer for each light controls the temperature of the heatsinks and activates a 20mm cooling fan inside the LED light fixtures.
I bought a set, for my Ford, at MOPAC several years ago. The price has come down to $170cdn from well over $200cdn.
I went on Craigslist to find a set of HELLA 9 inch H4 lens and reflectors. Because of the style of the bezels my choices for headlights are limited to what will fit. I got lucky and I bought two HELLA HEADLIGHT sets from the same person.
Do I like this LED system? I cannot find any fault with the performance. These are bright white with a perfect pattern.
Attachments
BEZEL INSIDE SHOT OF THE BUCKET.jpg
lots of wires for two light computers.
LED H4 conversion kit.jpg
3SIXTY LED conversion, fan cooled
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:15 pm

I think if you are 6 volt, the only choices are sealed beam or H4 conversions, I don't think the LEDs will work with a 6 volt system.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:20 pm

TRUCKLITE offer a very nice LED conversion set. I bought a set, but they would not fit the 80 year old Ford bezels. I did try them on our Old IHC system and they fit.
Attachments
TRUCK LITE WITH TURN SIG.jpg
TRUCK LITE 2.jpg
truck lite sized.jpg
TRUCKLITE
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:12 am

I know you said that LED headlights are outside your budget. I won’t attempt to lure you in that direction. But, since the subject has presented itself, I feel I need to add my experience with headlights on the L model. After my truck was rebuilt, I decided to try the LED headlights and got a set of the Trucklites similar but not exactly like Nikkinutshop has indicated. They fit OK in the original headlight buckets and functioned without any modifications to wiring or hardware. I could never seem to get them aimed to my satisfaction, at least on low beam. When I went to high beam, they were great. I could see very well and all of the highway signs that are reflective just glowed brilliantly. But low beam was less that adequate in my opinion.

I’m a guy who likes to utilize modern technology in old vehicles type of guy. With the current safety trend being to have daytime headlights, I notice many newer Jeeps (7” round headlights) outfitted with headlights that had a halo arrangement of LEDs for daytime and a pretty keen LED arrangement for nighttime. So when there was an annual Jeeping event held here in the county, I checked out the aftermarket vendors to see what they had. I came away with a set that would give me that daytime halo and good nighttime visibility. They are made off-shore and cost more than I’m willing to divulge. Got them home and found out the hard way, they wouldn’t fit in the L buckets. The bucket was too shallow by about 3/8”. Since I had spent so much $$ on them I decided I’d try to modify the buckets enough to make them work. I ended up eliminating most of the bucket except for the outer rim that attaches to the adjustment screws and contains the notches to orient the bulb properly. With the bulbs now mounted and the wiring that comes with them to make the halo function installed, I can activate the halo with an app on my phone. Unfortunately it does not come on when I start up the truck, but I can live with that, because by activating the halo via phone app allows me to utilize the other functions the halo does. There are a rainbow of colors I can program for the halo and I do so only at car shows. State laws dictate that only white light is allowed on the highway. By using the app, I can make the halo change colors as fast as I want, I can make them one particular color if I want, or I can make them flash on and off or any combination. I usually just cycle them through the range of colors and that’s all. By doing this you’d be surprised at how many more people, especially small kids, notice the truck. People who aren’t particularly interested in trucks will take notice just because of the halo lights cycling through colors. I know most of you will say “so the guy wasted a lot of money just to make his truck stand out more”. My thinking is this. If I can interest any one child or adult in getting involved with an old truck or car, it will help to keep this hobby going. If the younger generation doesn’t pick it up, our efforts to restore, preserve or even hot rod will fade away. (And since the lights are LEDs the energy draw is very small and doesn’t run the battery down even if they’re on the entire day.)
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:32 am

Interesting about the bucket. Would the light fit in without being plugged in, or was it overall too shallow and the light would not fit regardless? The reason I ask is some H-4 headlight conversions had a similar problem. Hella makes a special shallow plug for them that doesn't add much if any depth to the light itself.
The wire connection are on the side and there is only a thin insulator to prevent the end of the prongs from shorting against the rear of the headlight bucket.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:54 pm

The way the bulb is made makes it too big to fit in the bucket. Not because of the plug but due to the physical size of the bulb. I have no idea how hard it would be to retrofit Jeep buckets into the L, but it was just my solution to modify the existing buckets.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:32 pm

Suggestions for where can I find the sockets (and wiring) for the 7” sealed beam halogen light? Not sure what I’m looking for other than an idea from what the light has for the plug.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:37 am

I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong, but all domestic sealed beam headlights have a standardized plug arrangement. If your truck doesn’t already have the headlight sockets wired in, you should be able to get new ones (with a wiring pigtail) at your local auto parts retailer. If the pigtail isn’t long enough to get you connected, then pick up some wire there as well. Match the wire gauge to the pigtail or the next size larger.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S