Locking gas cap for 56 s100

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:09 pm

Re: Locking gas cap for 56 s100

That may be the answer someone posted on Summit's website, but I think if you check with Stant, it is a vented cap.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:23 pm

Good to know. It sounds like it worked for you. I have not yet replaced mine but likely the problem why it vapor locked. I had not thought about going with a locking cap but probably a good idea.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:05 pm

The reason I decided to go with a locking cap is because I came to the conclusion that the cap, even though it is vented, if not kept lose, will still cause vapor lock. I ended up losing a cap while driving; and thought the locking one, which is the eBay listing I linked to you, would be a good solution. I ended up exchanging the gasket on that one, with a thinner gasket- to alleviate the tight seal. It works well, as the vapor lock problem is gone- and- the lock prevents it from falling off.
Last edited by pkfj on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:17 pm

Even the non vented caps can be quickly converted with a small drill bit. You do not have to drill all the way through the cap. Simply drill a hole in the center of the plastic on the underside and the cap is then vented to the atmosphere. I've done this a number of times with old trucks that I've owned when a vented cap was not available. It keeps the old school look and works great.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:22 pm

[quote="Binder Mike"]Even the non vented caps can be quickly converted with a small drill bit. You do not have to drill all the way through the cap. Simply drill a hole in the center of the plastic on the underside and the cap is then vented to the atmosphere. I've done this a number of times with old trucks that I've owned
when a vented cap was not available. It keeps the old school look and works great.[/quote

Mike, it's a good idea; and, will probably work for many; but, for what ever reason, it didn't work on mine. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a try, though, before spending the money on another one. Don't have anything to lose.
Previous

Return to L, R and S