Spicer PTO help

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:08 pm

Re: Spicer PTO help

Another I notice was the GL lighter viscosities also had the W suffix. The chart I had listed the GL number as a straight " weight" as in 80 GL not 90-80w. I don't know if you could find straight 75 GL anymore or even 80?
The chart I had was from a lube supplier IIRC, when working on the British buses we needed some oils that were not in common use or went by different terms or spec over here compared to there. Most times it would fit in under one or anther engine oil spec, other times a hyd oil would meet the requirments.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:43 pm

Hmm, I've dumped 50wt. motor oil in a worn motor and I've put 90wt. gear lube in a rear axle sure seems like different viscosity to me.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:38 pm

GL has friction modifiers that make it tacky or stringy but not more viscus. Neither properties are required in transmission or spiral bevel gearing. It is vary important in hypoid gearing.
When the pinion center line and the ring gear center line don't intersect, the gears must slide against each other as they also mesh, this tends to wipe the lube from the surface.
Put both oils in a viscometer and and compare their viscosity and similar temps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:56 am

Tackifiers in GL series oils help them to cling to metal and coat the gears that are above the oil level. In my opinion, the tackifiers make them feel thicker than they actually are. The effect can be seen if you put a little oil between your thumb and index finger, and see the 'strings' between the two as you separate them.

Dean
Last edited by dean466 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:00 am

dean466 wrote:The effect can be seen if put a little oil between your thumb and index finger, and see the 'strings' between the two as you separate them.

Dean

String theory explained! :lol: But really that is a good way to explain the EP additives. Thanks Dean
Previous

Return to L, R and S