Plugs for SD220?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:44 pm

Plugs for SD220?

What brand and part number do you guys like for spark plugs for an SD220? It has Champion J11 plugs in it now but they have seen better days.

Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:13 am

Re: Plugs for SD220?

I put a set of #86 Autolite's in mine. While not my favorite brand it's what the parts store had at the time. Going on two years of use I'm pleased with them.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks for the feedback. I see that Rockauto shows the champion plug to be #871. It looks like they still make the J11 plugs so it makes me wonder what the differences are. I am just having trouble getting this engine to idle down and run right but I am probably impatient after it sitting for 20+ years. I did put a carb kit in it and that helped but not quite there. I set the dwell at about 34. is that about right?

Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 am

I know the dwell meter is the better way to set the points but so far with my IH setting the points with the feeler gauge has given me good results. I don't know off hand the dwell# for SD 220.

Have you taken a look to see that your distributor vacuum advance is working properly? The diaphragm can go bad on them and cause problems.

The other thing I would mention while on the subject of vacuum is a vacuum gauge can be an invaluable tool for diagnosing engine performance and making adjustments. There's some pretty good sites on the internet for their use and the information they can provide you. A gauge it self is fairly inexpensive.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Mike,
I have only tested that the vacuum advance unit physically moves but not that it actually advances with throttle. I guess I could physically look easy enough. I think I have at least one stuck valve causing me some grief so I need to get that sorted out also tonight. At least isolate it. I did spray WD40 and carb cleaner around the carb and intake to check for vacuum leaks and there does not appear to be any. I have the idle set at about 1400 to keep it running at the moment. I know that make it difficult to set anything. I think the dwell is close enough as a starting point and I have great spark. I have set the distributor by ear at the moment but that is tough with the high idle. Also my carb rebuild went fine and everything was already super clean but the carb adjustment does not need to do anything which is not good but I do not think it is the carb itself. At least yet.

I will let you know and as always I appreciate the help from you and others on this forum.

Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:35 pm

I thought I'd post this as it's one of the better sites. Also keep in mind a vacuum gauge can be used to set the idle mixture on your carb and also the engine ignition timing. Great for diagnoses and tune ups. Make sure to adjust the readings to your altitude.

https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/diagnose- ... uum-gauge/
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:01 pm

parts book lists
Champion plugs as J-11 a hotter plug, J-7 a colder plug and a J-8 as standard plug, I always ran J-8

AC plugs AC-44 as cold, AC-46 as hot, and AC-45 as standard, I always ran AC-45

Autolite A-5 cold, A-9 hot, A-7 standard, not sure I ever ran autolite plugs
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:12 pm

I guess it os good to know what is in the truck now is right. I just found it odd that Rock Auto had different numbers. The old NAPA site used to be good for part lookup and especially parts interchange and cross reference. Pretty pathetic now.

Mike

Return to L, R and S