Vent window glass

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:01 pm

Vent window glass

Got all the glass from my local shop today and itching to put the doors back together. Out of 4 vent windows I only have TWO with latches not snapped off them (If anyone knows how to fix that as well PLEASE SHARE your wisdom!!) I understand that I have to pound the channel off the original glass and put in a tape strip to reinstall new pane, but understanding what you're supposed to do is a far cry from successfully doing it. Any helpful tips for this posses and any advice on tape thickness? Can I use the same thickness on the bottom channel of the main window too or is that thicker/thinner? Any advice or tips are appreciated. Thanks again!!
Custom jobs require custom solutions

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Vent window glass

Your local auto glass shop can supply the glass setting tape.
I bought new latches for my 1940 Ford. The Ford latches are identical to the Old IHC latches. https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx? ... 022916%2f7
Attachments
QUARTER VENT LATCHES.jpg
QUARTER VENT WINDOW LATCH PIECES.jpg
Ford latches.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:56 am

I like to spray WD40 on the old rubber to soften it for easier removal. A little WD40 will make installing new glass easier. Talk to your glass supplier.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:35 pm

I bought the parts from the Ford for the latch like Nikki mentioned, worked well. As for the glass, I just did mine and it was actually pretty easy. Used 1/16” setting tape. To make it easier I taped it to the glass in a couple spots with electrical tape so the setting tape stayed put. Once it’s trimmed you can’t see it. I spritzed a little bit of soapy water on the setting tape to make it go in easier... it was still a pretty tight fit and I just used a couple “quick grip” clamps to pull the glass in since I was afraid to pound on it. Worked really well and I just left it clamped overnight while the soapy water evaporated (I tried removing right away and noticed the glass starting to slide out of the frame on its own).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:11 pm

WD40 is slightly slippery and makes installation easier. WD40 softens the glass setting tape then absorbs into the rubber so it sticks to the frame and the glass.
I am not a fan of most powder-coatings, but these vent frames are an excellent place to use the coating.

Return to L, R and S