1955 R112 drains fuel bowl

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:11 pm

1955 R112 drains fuel bowl

I have a 1955 R112 with a SD220 engine and Holly carb. It had not run in 20 years or so. I had the fuel tank li ed and put in a new fuel pump. The truck runs fine but if the truck sits for 3 or 4 days I come out and the fuel bowl is drained and it take awhile for it to prime and start pumping fuel. I put an inline filter on the hard line right before the carb. I could see the fuel draining out of the fuel line and filter but not sure why the fuel bowl goes dry. It does not seem.to leak any gas.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:41 am

Re: 1955 R112 drains fuel bowl

I could be totally wrong here... My truck does the same thing. If it has sat for any length of time it always takes some effort to start it. I have resorted to putting some gas down the carb so I do not stress the starter so much. I have to admit it can be several weeks between starts for me.

I have always assumed it is due to today's gasolines being more volatile than they used to be, so they evaporate much easier. The gas just evaporates out of the carb, i.e the bowl runs dry.

I just read your post again, you are talking about the fuel pump bowl. Maybe you have a small air leak that allows it to drain back to the tank?

On my truck the fuel filter (before the carb) seems to keep its gas, but the carb seems to go dry. At least that is my theory, I have not actually ever looked into solving this issue.
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:31 am

Sorry I can't be more specific but I was dealing with this a few years ago on my Holley 1904, My memory being what it is I believe it was the fuel inlet to the float bowl through the float mechanism. There is an inner and outer gasket where it passes through, my inner gasket was missing entirely from someone who previously had the carb apart. If the gasket is bad or missing the fuel leaks back out of the float bowl. replacing the gasket fixed mine.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:35 am

Well that is interesting. I run non ethenol gas in mine and i am talking about the fuel bowl as well. I guess it is possible it is leaking very slowly from the fuel bowl? Also does your truck have an oil bath air cleaner?

As far as the fuel pump priming does it seem to make a difference on yours how full the gas tank is?

Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:31 am

Yep non-ethanol only in all my carbed bikes and old trucks and yes to the oil bath air cleaner. I usually keep my tank full and ready for the next trip. In warm weather I barely need the choke and maybe blip the pedal once or twice before I turn the key. The truck can sit for weeks and still start like that but seems to just as well on a half or quartet tank.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:45 am

Note the inner washer related to part # 42, that is what was missing on mine. Hope this helps.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manu ... s_0002.jpg
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks Mike for the info. When you say part #42 are you referring to the round washers? It looks like 42 is pointing to the needed and assy but there is a round inner and rou d outer washer. Do you know if you can by them individually? Seems odd that the inner washer would cause it to bleed back. I would love to get this problem fixed.

Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:32 pm

hattrick4467 wrote:Thanks Mike for the info. When you say part #42 are you referring to the round washers? It looks like 42 is pointing to the needed and assy but there is a round inner and round outer washer. Do you know if you can by them individually? Seems odd that the inner washer would cause it to bleed back. I would love to get this problem fixed.

Mike

Yes the round washers. One seals the inlet of the fuel line on the exterior of the carburetor the other goes between part 42 and the interior of the float chamber. 42 is the assembley that houses the float valve and acts as a pivot for the float itself. Those round paper washers are included in the rebuild kit for the carb but if you have different size gasket punches they can be made using a smaller and then larger one. I don't know if they can be bought individually.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:21 pm

After this truck engine is shut off. do you smell gasoline anywhere? Taking a good "sniff" around the fuel system should be one of the first things to check.
If there is no gasoline odor, it is more likely the fuel system is draining back into the fuel tank. A simple inline fuel check valve is always a great idea and it may be the simple fix in this situation.
Because the fuel inlet to the carburetor is above the bottom of the fuel bowl it is not likely all of the fuel is being syphoned out. A hot engine and the location of the carburetor can contribute to fuel evaporation. There should be a fuel odor is this is happening.
https://www.amazon.com/fuel-line-check- ... heck+valve
Something to remember. Gasoline does not ignite and burn. Gasoline vapor can ignite and will burn. A spark from mixed material clothing can generate a spark. Old wires with poor connections can make sparks.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 am

Those have a crack pressure of 3 psi If I am reading correctly. may not work well with a carb and mechanical pump.
Next

Return to L, R and S