Exhaust heat spring

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Re: Exhaust heat spring

Also, does anyone have a diagram of how all the parts for the heat exhaust spring and flap system works? It helps me if I can see how it is supposed to function. I want to see if mine is repairable. From looking at my exhaust manifold I can tell the spring is missing and the prongs sticking out look very rusty. There is no movement in either of the prongs sticking out, but I don't know if they are supposed to move.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:40 pm

the 1/4 or so round shaft with the slit cut in it runs right through the manifold and out the other side. Inside it has a flapper valve that either direct exhaust gasses up against the bottom of the intake, or diverts the same away.
That shaft is supposed to move, often it get stuck and needs to be free'd up by heating and working it carefully. Once it is free it can be lubed with graphite or a spray made for it.
The bi-metallic spring turns the shaft when cold to direct the gasses toward the intake, and when warm the spring turns the shaft so the flapper directs the gases away from the intake. The little "peg" is there to hold one end of the spring, and the other end passes through the slot on the shaft as seen in the pictures on the other page of this thread.
You may have to remove and separate the manifolds to free it up if badly stuck.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Ok, that helps me understand. Thank you!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:54 pm

EmanM18 wrote:Ok, that helps me understand. Thank you!

Send me a message, I may have that spring if you need one. Others have picked up springs at case tractor places I think.
Previous

Return to L, R and S