SD/BD/BG Water Pump Replacement - Gates 42317

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:39 pm

SD/BD/BG Water Pump Replacement - Gates 42317

I recently found that a new water pump is available for these inline engines. I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere on the forum so I'm posting it here. There are a few minor changes needed to make it work.

My old pump started to leak after I drained and removed the radiator for cleaning. The seal was so old that once it dried out it cracked, and that was the end of that. The impeller seal area was corroded as well. I could have rebuilt it, but I was racing against the seasons to just get it done.

After a lot of Googling I discovered there is a new pump available for the IHC agricultural I6 engines, Gates part number 42317. It looked about right so I decided to go for it. It worked, really well in fact, but I had to do the following:

- The pulley flange is almost exactly one inch too short. I'm in the process of having an aluminum spacer turned, but in the interest of time I made a temporary fix (which shows no sign of problems). In between the pulley and flange, on all four bolts, I installed a heavy steel spacer, 1/4" inner diameter, 1" long. Bolts are Grade 8 steel with lock washers and Loktite.

- The casting is a bit thick, so the four pump mount bolts are very close to the pump body. It's too close to get a socket over the heads, so instead I used cap screws.

- Same problem with the heater hose inlet. I had to trim down the hex shape and used Vise Grips (carefully) to install it.

- The gasket between the block and pump has a tab for a screw that actually goes between the pump back plate and pump body. Not sure why as it causes interference. Simple enough, just cut off that tab.

There are a few advantages to this new pump:

- The impeller is a better design and seems to run cooler at idle

- There are outlets in nearly every position for all sorts of applications

Anyhow, just though I'd pass this along.

IMG_26320001.JPG
Gates 42317 Pump Impeller

IMG_26340002.JPG
Gates 42317 Pump Top - Heater inlet is a close fit

IMG_26420003.JPG
Gates 42317 Pump Front - Cap screws used to mount it to the block

IMG_26430004.JPG
Pulley Alignment

IMG_26540005.JPG
Final Installation

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:24 pm

Re: SD/BD/BG Water Pump Replacement - Gates 42317

If you have not done it, please post up the pump and number in the parts link. You can also reference this thread for information.

Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:46 am

This is great news! Thanks for sharing!
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks for sharing, I might pick one up next time instead of rebuilding mine again.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:48 pm

only thing I'd caution on this is years ago I put one of these type water pumps on and like noted the shaft is not as long, I used spacers to move pulley cone out to where it needed to be, about 3 months later pulley cone failed at the spacers and fan went thru radiator,
got metal fatigue from not having full contact on the mount surface?
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:33 pm

Hard to say. I'm taking it easy until I get a real spacer made up. I really don't like the idea of what forces and vibrations those bolts are experiencing. The single-piece spacer will center the fan/pulley correctly.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:45 am

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:https://www.google.ca/search?q=fan+spacer&hl=en&sxsrf=ACYBGNRdtjwGykCtzyn2ZOQexEHmPP6Acg:1572759890919&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV1_WUq83lAhUSCjQIHTtTDlAQ_AUIESgB&biw=1324&bih=667

wish this kind of stuff existed back in the 70s, was hard to find a new radiator pre-internet days,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:16 pm

John, that's why mine has a Mopar radiator that has been modified to fit.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:09 am

An update on the water pump:

I've been very happy with the performance of the Gates pump so far. I have probably 300+ miles on the truck since November. No leaks, no noise, no overheating. The four 1" x 0.250" spacers I used to align the fan have always been on my mind, so I've taken it pretty easy. My quick-and-dirty fix has actually held up well and would probably last a long time, but I'd rather not find out.

As Nikki pointed out, Google has a lot of fan spacers, but nothing is quite right. I'm sure one of them could be modified, but at that point you might as well just make one that's right to start with, which is what I finally did. Well, to be fair, I designed it and my brother made it for me.

The flange on the IHC pump has a center register of 1.250" inches, where a lot of the generic stuff looks to be around 0.500" or 0.625". Here is a picture of the new pump taken last year before installation:
IMG_26020002.JPG

The spacer is just a slug of aluminum bar stock drilled for the fan hole pattern and cut down in a lathe. It's a little scratched from my handling which is a shame. My brother made it look as pretty as a CNC part:
IMG_35390003.JPG

IMG_35410004.JPG

Here it is sitting on top of the old pump for reference:
IMG_35430005.JPG

And here it is being test fit with the pulley and fan. I didn't get a picture of the final installation, but it's just right.
IMG_35530001.JPG

Ultimately this is a much better solution, and something I can have total confidence using. As I'm getting the truck farther from home now it's good to have one less thing to worry about.
Next

Return to L, R and S