L/R Series front spindles

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 pm

L/R Series front spindles

Does anyone know the measurements of the front spindles? I can use either the 51 L110 5 bolt or the 54 R120 6 bolt front axle (I think they’re the same but not sure) I'll be replacing the front springs no matter what so it doesn't matter to me which one I use. I know I’m not the first to do a disc break conversion BUT I have a 5x5.5 bolt spread on my Ford 9" rear axle and would like to make the front match. I do realize I'm probably the only oddball here going Ford but in a perfect world I could fit an F-150 hub or something similar on the currant spindle. I know they can do great things with bearings but I'm sot sure how far off they might be and or more importantly... length. Again this is a true "farmer build" as I want to make this dream come true but have limited resources. I use what I have available to me. Many will disagree but to me it does kinda feel fitting as these were the ultimate farm truck and seeing some of the "farm fab" I've seen done on my two...??? At least my build will be clean and factory looking lol. I can spend a little money on essentials but sure as hell cant swing $2500 for the weld in Mustang II IFS set-up. Maybe one day, but my ultimate goal right now is to get this old beauty turning heads on the street again. I plan to continue improving as time goes on but one step at a time. ANY advice, ideas, suggestions will be appreciated. THANK YOU ALL! I'm a very new member and have already been blown away by the people here. You guys rock! :t0213:
Custom jobs require custom solutions

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:39 am

Re: L/R Series front spindles

Assuming that what you're asking is how to get a 5 1/2 inch bolt pattern on an L or R axle, I think there may be an easy answer. Be aware though that I do not know that it will work. The bolt pattern on the half ton IH's changed in 1967 to 5 on 5 1/2. It would take some measuring and homework regarding the bearings, but I would look at the possibility that hubs from a '67 or later C series might just slip onto your L or R series spindles.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:43 pm

i like where your mind is at Paul but the next question is where the hell do I find a set of C series hubs? Pretty sure Napa doesnt just have a few sitting on their shelves lol.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:23 pm

That disc brake kit looks really good.
I have a similar kit for front disc brakes on my 1940 Ford.
Attachments
HEADERS RIGHT FRONT.jpg
disc brake
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:24 pm

I think the 120 axle is heavier than the 110, but may be similar in dimensions.

If what you're trying to do is keep the costs down then have you looked into adapters for the front to match the rear? You'd probably have to go with the R110 front axle as the 5 on 4-1/2" pattern would be easier to find an adapter for.

Just a few thought I guess. You wouldn't get disc brakes but you'd be on the road cheap and relatively safe.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:07 pm

The MT -221A IHC parts catalogue lists two front axles for the pickups. 127295R1 is for the 100 series pickup. 69939R1 is for the 110 and the 120 trucks.
The catalogue list one steering knuckle for the 100,110, and 120. The king-pins are the same for all models.
The rebuild kit number is 62905R93. It is very likely this kit is not available. A machine shop can make the parts. Some of the Ford draw bolts should cross over.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:02 am

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:02 am

K series 1/2t trucks use the same spindle dimensions as the L/R/S trucks. I bought a used pair of those from an auction site. 2000 Crown Vic rotors and Toyota Tundra 4 piston calipers. Next time I mess with this I’d like to look closer at early 70s Dodge van discs. They’ve got an integrated hub assembly. My wheels are not currently hub centric. I think the rotors are because I vaguely remember turning down the dia of the snout on the hubs .005” or so to get the rotors to seat.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:24 pm

I broke down and just bought a front hub/rotor for a '78 F-150 2 wheel drive from the local Vato-Zone today and tried it out. Much to my surprise IT WILL FIT! The length is spot on all I need to do is pop out the races from one and get the numbers, hit up my guy at the barring shop and dig through the Timken book to find some that will fit both the IH spindle and Ford hub. It really shouldn't be too difficult as the ones that came out of my original hub were a very close fit already. I will post part numbers when I figure them out. Pretty excited to find an easy fit for front disc conversion and a common set of parts (probably just use the classic dime a dozen GM calipers). Ford ran the same hubs from somewhere around 73 right up to 93. This ALSO means I get the 5x5.5 bolt spread I was looking for to match my Ford 9" WOO HOO! Now I dont have to bend up my own 2nd spare tire holder and have 2 on the box. One for the front and one for the rear lol I do have one issue though... the outside of the drivers side spindle is pretty chewed up as it looks like the outer barring spun. Does anyone make a replacement spindle? I did a quick Google search on my lunch break today but didn't really find anything. Any info or direction pointing would be great. Thanks again!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 01, 2020 10:17 am

Question, are you looking for number 4 - PN 69567R11
I assume some years will interchange.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-05-01 International Harvester MT-97 R-Series Parts Catalog - 02 Front Axle pdf.png
Next

Return to L, R and S