New Brake Lines

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:10 am

Re: New Brake Lines

hattrick4467 wrote:I had not seen the Mastercool one. That seems alot more practical to be able to flare lines on the truck if needed.

Most A/C components require an O ring fitting, in some places you can use a O ring to flare adaptor, but not all.
Edit: I now see that you may have been replying to the general idea of the Mastercool tool and not the post right above it. Helps to "quote" the post you are replying too in order to eliminate confusion.
Last edited by cornbinder89 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:14 am

WEW51L110 wrote:CB, please note that the bending method you described using sand is an effective way to make the radiused bends. However, please be aware that all bending of straight tubing requires some degree of stretching and compression of the metal to take place. .

No argument here, but if you only have a few bends to make, and don't have a tubing bender, it works well. It also does a better job then some of the cheaper tubing benders on the market. Many of the cheaper benders will flatten the outer radius.
In aircraft school we pressure tested to failure to pass the test, it had to withstand more than 2 1/2 times max working pressure to get a passing grade.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:01 pm

This was my first commercial tube bender. I have had this identical tool in OTC, Ridgid and SnapOn. It is compact and easy to use.
For a few really tight bends I turned deep grooves in a piece of DOM heavy wall tube. The grooves must be deep enough to hold the tube in and prevent kinking when the sides want to kick out.
I do not like the idea of filling a tube with sand. I am not saying it will not work, I just do not want to do it.
This may be the most copied tube bender of all time. OTC was the original manufacturer.
I am looking for a good deal on these tube bending pliers. https://youtu.be/6KRNRQzbRUo
Attachments
TBS200 SnapOn tube bender.jpg
SnapOn tube tool
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:09 pm

Previous

Return to L, R and S