Signal housing restoration

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:45 pm

Signal housing restoration

I am working on the front signal housing on my L110. It was quite rusty when i started. I have blasted it inside and out and ran a small wire brush on a Dremel inside the socket. I have primered and painted the housing. I stuffed the socket with paper to not paint bulb contact surface. My thought was to leave it bare metal and coat it well with dielectric grease. I suppose one could manipulate the socket out and replace it, but would rather not attempt that. Does this sound like a good idea or is there another treatment for the bare metal socket to consider ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:27 pm

Re: Signal housing restoration

You are wasting your time. Try this for a proper repair. Lots of choices. https://www.google.ca/search?q=replacem ... 1239&hl=en
I installed an LED light TRUCK LITE set in my R120. If a person does not want to cut the grill to accept the larger LED unit, the LED can be mounted behind the original lens. There is a dirt catching ledge in every one of these grills.
Attachments
TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS.jpg
The round LED lights are two sided. I used then for rear turn/clearance lights. The red light faced forward and added another level of being seen.
LED FRONT TURN SIGNAL.jpg
LED light These lights are clear when off, amber when on and much brighter when the turn signal is activated.
OUR R 120 4X4.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:58 pm

I have a few single pole sockets that I could use. I was toying with the idea of tinning the socket interior. Wouldn't take long to try, then try a bulb in it. I have harvested the pigtail already. Your wisdom and experience are barking through however. I want to keep the exterior as original as I can also. Do you know the part number for the bulb as long as we're on the topic ?

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:57 pm

I wouldn’t replace my marker lights if the buckets were any good. It sounds like your only concerned with the bulb socket.
1. I would just use dielectric grease and call it good if your sockets are any good.

2. The sockets do pop out of the housing. They are inexpensive and easily available from any auto parts store. The hole is about 11/16. A new one has fresh plating...

Sockets
4C1A096C-3EA1-416C-842D-72F506BDC2E5.jpeg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:46 am

The socket appears to be crimped from both sides, so popping it out would be a bit of task without deforming the thing. Cutting the socket off then grinding the rim off would probably work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 am

Cole Hersey and other show a swaged in replacement socket in catalogs, but yeah it would be a chore to do if not needed.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:42 pm

My sockets must have popped out from being so rusty.
8A5852CF-D3AE-45AC-B2BB-BAF1C6311459.jpeg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:25 am

Don’t limit yourself in thinking this housing was only available on the L110. Back in the mid ‘70’s when I went to the local IH dealer to get a replacement for my ‘51, it turns out that this housing was used on early Scouts as well. There’s no way I have any idea about part numbers now, but I got the whole housing and lens for, I think, a ‘64 Scout and except for the lens being amber, was a dead wringer in appearance for the ‘51 unit. Like NNS said, the braces behind the grille are mud traps and there was significant rust on my truck. I took advantage of the modernization by installing the amber lenses and they are still on my truck now. I did need to fabricate new clamping brackets to hold them in place, but that was easy-peasy. A simple u shape from some flat stock and drill some holes. Voila! ( ....and the new chrome trim bezels looked better, too)
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:27 pm

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Good information there guys, I knew the lenses were scout compatible, and wondered about the housing. I recently ordered a few 1129A bulbs which is only available through an outfit called Bughaus.com. I added a link in the parts link section. They are 6 volt amber bulbs that will work great on the old trucks with clear lenses.
Next

Return to L, R and S