power assisted front disc brakes

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:43 pm

Re: power assisted front disc brakes

If you read their description they recommend plumbing it to the front half of a dual master cyl on a disk/drum vehicle. Like Dean I have never seen a brake set-up that way. While the front wheels do the lions share of the braking, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with the brakes set up that way, a panic brake application may lead to unintended consequences.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Cornbinder, I also had that thought....After discussing it in depth with Trevor from MPB I also purchased their VL3360K, universal combination valve kit that allows you to fully adjust the rear brakes and it adds a metering valve to keep the front end from nose diving during a panic stop.I have also added the 2 and 10 pound residual valves inline near the master cylinder.

Link for the VL3360K:
https://www.mpbrakes.com/accessories/vl ... 59620BE1AC

T

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:27 pm

A proportioning valve is REQUIRED on any disk/drum vehicle, that being said it doesn't address the booster only on the front? I just don't see how it will work properly. Either run a single line or two boosters. Either way you need the proportioning valve to bias the brake pressure
Look at it this way, the dual line master uses a hyd link between the two halves, so the outlet pressure will be the same on both lines, one for the rear remains at that pressure, while the other gets magnified by the booster, then you go the proportioning valve and cut the rear some more? Also I am not sure that booster will be a liner rise across it, the boost level may rise rapidly with only a small increase of input pressure, not a problem when it is feeding all brakes, but will be a big problem if the unboosted line pressure doesn't rise with it.
With two boosters the front and rear line to the proportioning valve will be the same pressure, just as it was intended, and the proportioning valve then can drop the pressure to the rear brakes in proportion to the pressure to the front, both inputs are the same, but with one booster, the input to the rear will already be less.
ME thinks there is a good reason I've never seen it done that way.
edit: I see they do make a dual unit, two booster mounted back to back, that is the only way I'd remote boost a duel line system, then go with your proportioning valve for the rear pressure bias.
Also, unless the booster calls for it, the check valve cannot go between the master and the booster, it must be after the booster or the brakes will not fully release.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:46 am

This fit in the tight spot I have. Not the easiest to fit and plumb but so far it is fitting nicely. Power brakes on all four disc brakes.
Attachments
IMG_5997.JPEG
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:07 pm

I now have the shifter linkage piviot mount moved behind the master cylinder and working, had to make the shifter rods shorter and fully adjustable to hit all gears...as you can see the three speed linkage leaves no room for a booster in the traditional location. I am adding 2.5 inchs to the brake rod now, should have it done soon.

Cornbinder-I misstated the last post, all the plumbing is routed to the combination valve mounted below the master cylinder, BEFORE the remote booster as you suggested....also I spoke with Trevor from Master Power Brakes about the signal verses dual remote boosters being used with the rear drum brakes, he restated that with drum brakes should only be plumbed to the front disc or the rear brakes will be too touchy and need to be readjusted frequently. In my case I will be purchasing the dual booster system as I will be using a Ford 8.8 rear end that has disc brakes in the future, only using one side of the booster while I have the rear drum brakes on the truck...

I appreciate all of the input this is receiving...

T
Columbia, Mo.
Attachments
power brake mount 2.JPG
power brake mount 1.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:14 pm

do what you want, its your truck, but I wouldn't have one 1/2 boosted and the other not. I'd use a single line or double booster (one for each) and THEN the proportioning valve.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:02 pm

I am starting to lengthen the stock brake linkage 2.5", I have two options:
Cut both of the perfectly good stock linkages that I have and weld them together( my least popular choice) or using a 3 inch long 7/16 x 20 grade 8 bolt and a 7/16 x 20 coupling nut welded together create a 2.5 " extension that threads on to the existing linkage and original brake adjusting rod on the end of it.
Just thought I would throw this out there and get your input...
Thanks,
T
Columbia, Mo.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:15 pm

Do it properly. Go to your local metal supply store, (Metal Supermarket) and buy a short length of DOM tube. Cutr the OEM ends off the original brake rod and have them threaded to fit inside the now threaded DOM tube. This is a simple job for the person with tools and an inexpensive job for a local machine shop.
Try to avoid telling the machinist it is for brakes. They do not want the extra liability that goes with anything to do with brakes.
The picture shows a HEIM JOINT at the pedal lever and a captured and locked push-rod system at the Bendis Hydro Booster.
The pushrod is made from 6061 T6. I bought the 6061 T6 at Metal Supermarket.

https://www.google.ca/search?sxsrf=ALeK ... 64&bih=586
Attachments
BRAKE PEDAL LINKAGE.jpg
replacement brake rod.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:02 pm

Nick, how did you attach the return spring? I have some 3/4” of steel rod on my shop now, couldn’t I use that with both ends turned down to 7/16” and threatened to accept the existing brake rod end and a heim joint?

Thanks for your input,
T

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:02 pm

Nikki is spot on. Counter intuitively, solid bends easier than tube. There are tens of roundy-round suppliers such this link that will make a swaged tube any length for next to nothing. And it will look really sharp!
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=swaged+tube+7%2F16
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S