Replacement fuel lines

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm

Replacement fuel lines

I believe I have a pin hole somewhere in my fuel lines, fuel drains all the way back to the tank making the old girl crank a lot before starting. I have bend and flare tools, can anyone tell me what size line and fittings are needed? I believe both sections of steel line use the same fittings.

Thanks!

trucktractorsmall.jpeg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Re: Replacement fuel lines

most vehicles use 5/16 line (1/2" on the nuts).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:29 pm

My R120 came with 3/8" line. I installed a spin-on fuel filter near the tank and an electric fuel pumps just after the filters. Another feature you might like to install after the tank and before anything else is a check valve. This will prevent run-back.
I am going to include a picture of a pump and filter install. This is on my Cummins 4bta powered L110. I do not have any pictures of the R120 fuel system.
Twin fuel filters for twin fuel tanks. One electric pump for each tank. I used a http://products.pollakaftermarket.com/v ... iven-valve to control the fuel. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly- ... SiEALw_wcB
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sxsr ... ent=psy-ab for a check valve.
Attachments
FUEL TANK FROM LR.jpg
GM van fuel tank
FUEL SYSTEM VIEW FROM THE REAR.jpg
left side behind the OEM tank.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:35 pm

That is odd, with most of the pipe threaded fittings being 1/8" I'm not sure why they would go 3/8" on the tube? Either will be fine, If my 855 Cummins can live off 5/16" (for the high pressure line") what ever you are running should.
You may be right, Nikki, I may be thinking off my Cummins, I don't think it would matter much which you use. The ID of 1/8" NPT fitting is smaller than either size line.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 am

I recall installing a 5/16th line in the tank, I used 2 - 5/16th male and a coupler to make it work. I am attaching a pic of the {1/4" original minus} the sheet metal brace that was soldered to the tube, you will see it when you get that far.
You might want to install a 6"access hole and a 7-1/2" cover under the seat cushion, so if you have to change the sender in the future it is easier.
EDIT: A guy could make it a one piece pick up tube, you may want to or not solder a brace on it.
Attachments
Down Tube.jpg

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:10 am

My L120 has 5/16 line and 1/2-20 fittings. I recently took them off and they are original. Also there is a short flex line from the hard line to the fuel pump.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:44 am

By the way Desert Toad, nice looking Farmall A sitting there next to your L. Both look good! I have a 1946 A that was my grandfather's that I'm restoring at the same time as my R112.

Return to L, R and S