R112 wiring questions

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:03 pm

R112 wiring questions

So I have my R112 almost all ready to go after fixing many things and lastly the wiring so that the alternator will charge. Keep in mind that someone did a 6 to 12 volt conversion on this so lots of stuff replaced, rewired or eliminated to get things to work. The problem that I am having is that the tail lights work and the brake lights work but the turn signals do not. I do not have a wiring diagram and the one diagram online on Hansen Web Design site for the L series does not show the turn signal switch on the wiring diagram. The harness leaving the steering column is not in the best of shape. When I turn the blinker on for the right blinker(which is the stock turn signal assembly) the right turn signal light on the dash comes on but does not blink. When I switch it to the left blinker the dash light does not come on at all.

My question is somewhat general though. If the brake light and the turn signal use the same wire and the same bulb filament then are the wires just connected together? And if so where in the circuit are they connected?

Thanks
Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:25 pm

Re: R112 wiring questions

https://images.app.goo.gl/gfbeqavGvgTpiiVE7 Test the bulbs to see if they are good.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:45 pm

This shows an add-on signal mechanism, but the color coding for the wires is the same as the late R, S, A, etc., Internationals.
Signals.jpeg

It has six wires at the column. Assuming you can still see the colors, red comes from the stop light switch. Black goes to the flasher unit. Brown goes to the left brake light. Green goes to the right brake light. Gray goes to the right front turn signal. White goes to the left front turn signal. Tail and parking lights would be the dimmer filament on the 1157 bulbs front and rear, and the six from the column, wired that way, should give brake lights in the rear and turn signals on all 4 corners on the brighter filaments of the bulbs. For the indicators on the dash, it would be a splice into the gray (right front) and white (left front) wires. If you can't make out the colors on the wires from the column, there's a process of elimination to determine which is which, and I can dig that out for you. I think.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:12 am

This might help, factory "S" truck
Attachments
S factory blinker.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:21 am

Thank You very much. These drawings are exactly what i needed as far as the brake switch and flasher tie in. I am wondering if somone put a S series column in the R112. I have a S100 chassis with the same column and integrated turn signal control. The colors on the wires may be a challenge but I now know what I am looking for.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:45 am

That depends on when your R series was built. From what I've found, if it was after chassis number 47105, it had the integrated turn signals. If it was built before that, someone may have swapped in the later style.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:23 pm

second generation R generally had the internal turn signals column,
part of the upgrades from L cab to S cab,
big back window, solid steel doors, (no cardboard liner)
now this is Not mean't as a hard fact,
I've seen second gen R series with old style columns in them,
Seems IH ran older with new till they ran out of the old stuff,
a lot of early L trucks had KB barn door heaters even though parts book shows the newer useless ones they put in L and R,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:37 pm

I had a 1953 "R" with the fresh air heater.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:56 am

Some states, such as Indiana, began requiring turn signals from the factory on vehicles produced after January 1, 1953. At first the manufacturers sold accessory kits, before they switched to the columns with integral turn signals. [Remember, until turn signals became standard, some manufacturers had only one tail light as standard equipment.]
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:49 am

Kevin and Paul,
I do have one question on the wiring diagram. The drawing shows wires leaving the turn signal switch for left/right/front/rear stop turn wires. That makes sense. What I am curious about is how the brake light switch is wired in and and how it interacts with the turn signals since the diagram does not show the internal switching. The wire marked "Red" coming from the brake light switch going into the turn signal switch will be hot when the brake switch is activated. The Black wire leaving the "L" lug on the flasher is also hot and from what I understand when this wire is passed through a bulb and to ground the light will come on. How are the Red wire from the Brake light switch and the Black wire from the flasher connected internally in the switch? Are they just directly connected and then when the turn signal it activated left or right it just passes this voltage out to the bulbs for that side?

If I had true colors on my wires this would be easy but they are all the same color plus there is wiring for the horn in that same harness.

Thank You!
Next

Return to L, R and S