Fuel/ Gas Tanks

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:58 pm

Re: Fuel/ Gas Tanks

I looked up the F100 fuel tank. It is shorter but pretty similar.

We don’t have any fuel tank restoration companies up here or I may have tried that.
Attachments
D58EB1AD-2328-4E43-B042-6DDDFA6FF9CA.jpeg
53 f100 tank mounted
3C20665C-1110-4BFB-9D72-C9FAC814D476.jpeg
F100 tank

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:51 am

Looks good, will the filler work? Tanks Inc has many adapters.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:46 pm

I'm not sure I'd go with the steel Ford tank. Since the poly tank had to be heated up and massaged into place, I'm guessing that it isn't a drop in fit.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:51 am

Just to be clear the photo of the tank mounted is the f100 tank mounted in an F100.
The F100 tank is a few inches bigger in height and width.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Buzzman72-----yes, that's the name!!!!---" Gastank Renu " ----I just couldn't remember it. Thanks !!
For anyone who is trying to figure out the best way to go: If you're gonna be spending the $ anyway (probably in the same neighborhood dollar-wise,
weather considering a poly tank that's not really made to the exact dimensions, or a metal one that is) , why not do a permanent fix on your ORIGINAL tank, and have one that slides right back in there and fits like a glove. Besides, the sender location will be original as well, which means that much less time and effort
making the accommodations for a different sender.
I'm not getting any kickbacks on this from that company, I'm just passing on my own experience----I was very happy with their work + the guarantee.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:13 pm

Lloyd, you should have taken my offer to buy your left and right fuel tanks. What condition are they in now?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:53 pm

They are still on the truck and still in good condition when last I saw them about 5months ago.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:23 pm

Well things have been slow so i finally tackled this tank. I really did not have the money for new one and this old rust tank still had some life left.
1. Cut really bad rust out and cleaned by tumbling nuts and bolts. This did knock some junk off but after a few hours well it just wasnt that great.
2. I did as much with my die grinder and wire wheel as i could through the openings. It still looked like crud.
3. Tig welded new metal where i had cut the holes. Welded many pin holes in top of tank.
4. I made covers for the fuel pickup and sending unit. I then sloshed the tank with muriatic acid from lowes. I only let it sit for 10-15 mins. I then rinsed with water and baking soda. WOW it really cleaned up that rust. There are some chunks left but for the most part the metal looked better then new. If a guy tumbled hardware and muriatic acid i think it would be spotless. The acid works really really fast so be careful.
5. I then sloshed it with a POR15 metal prep solution.
6. Dried the tank.
7. Sloshed the tank with POR15 fuel tank sealer. This takes a while to get the whole thing. It really only seals pinholes. I had one hole bigger then a pin hole(maybe 1/32") that it did not want to stick in. I let it dry a day.
8. It did not coat the tank as well as i would have liked so i sloshed it again the next day with the recovered sealer. This really coated the inside very well. I then brushed it on the outside for good measure. It dries very hard and not rubbery at all. 1quart is plenty.
Turned out pretty good.

welded.jpg
Patches

post acid.jpg
Acid wash

79405F22-F402-4D22-A8E3-CEA9A8403BB7.jpeg
INSIDE

outside.jpg
done
Last edited by AK IHC on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:13 am

Very nice.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm the guy that installed that poly tank from Tanks in my R-120 a few years ago. Sorry I never posted any photos. I have a few here to share but they aren't very informative of the process. If i recall correctly I had to relocate one running board brace back a few inches to accommodate the shape of the poly tank (you can see in one photo that i used a piece of treated wood as a spacer between the running board and the brace). I also heated up and pushed in the tank where it hit the rear corner of the cab (one photo shows me pointing at that spot). I cut off the old filler neck from my original tank and clamped it to the new tank with a rubber sleeve. I don't recall if it was 3,4,5 years ago that I did this but it's worked flawlessly since then.
Attachments
tank2.jpg
tank3.jpg
tank neck.jpg
Last edited by MinnesotaJeff on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S