2020 Shakedown Cruise

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:19 am

2020 Shakedown Cruise

My truck has sat in the garage since late last Fall while I made some improvements and adjustments, probably the biggest was the change over from a T-9 to a T-98 Warner four speed that I sourced at Coonrad's in Colorado last summer. The swap was pretty straight forward, I didn't have to alter anything with the floor pan openings The transfer case shifters simply bolted on and only took a little adjustment to the linkage but no modification. The most major part of the swap was getting the drive shaft shortened. And then the truck sat while other jobs and chores took priority and the snow piled up on stormy days and my road got muddier on sunny days.

Yesterday after a week of relatively sunny, warm weather my road dried out and the thermometer hit 50' and I finally had time to take the truck out for the first ride of the year. With the truck in static mode and no drive shaft the new tranny had shifted and sounded good but I had yet to drive it under load so the suspense was killing me! Getting down to the highway in low range 4 WD / compound low all went well and as I reached the pavement I went into two wheel high and the anticipation of the other synchronized gears to try. I found the truck transformed compared to the old crash box transmission. It took a few miles before I stopped double clutching out of habit but the remaining 40 or so I went both in town and on country roads were a pleasure and I ended up very happy with this new improvement to my old Binder. There's more snow predicted for Monday but at least this trial run has scratched my old truck itch for the time being.

P.S. The old T-9 will be going up for sale soon. :mrgreen:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:29 am

Re: 2020 Shakedown Cruise

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? I can see that smile on your face all the way up here in Pa. Enjoy !

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:44 pm

Re: 2020 Shakedown Cruise

congrats! always a good feeling when the test drive goes well

Return to L, R and S