Solving the 6 bolt dilemma

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Re: Solving the 6 bolt dilemma

A question from someone who has put no thought into this project- could you have welded the 6 old holes shut and machined the new 8 stud holes into the old hub? Offset issues ? Center hub size looks the same. Would that work compromise the structural integrity of the original hub with heat, etc?

Your spacer set looks amazing, and I marvel at the talent of other posters here to create these things. I don't possess this type of skill.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:04 pm

Oldstuff wrote:Thanks Joe. The only reason for the size of the material is cost. I had access to a bunch of torch cutting table drops (waste pieces from cutting rings) that were 8-5/8" diameter - and free. I'd have gone bigger if I were buying them but this was too good to pass up. I felt pretty good about the strength and the contact area so I went for it. I figure i probably saved a couple of hundred bucks or so. With doing the machining myself I'm only into these for the cost of the hardware so that's cool. Don't ask me how many hours I put in though.... Haha!

I 100% am on board the using what you have/can get cheaply train haha.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:01 pm

K Effective wrote:A question from someone who has put no thought into this project- could you have welded the 6 old holes shut and machined the new 8 stud holes into the old hub? Offset issues ? Center hub size looks the same. Would that work compromise the structural integrity of the original hub with heat, etc?

Your spacer set looks amazing, and I marvel at the talent of other posters here to create these things. I don't possess this type of skill.

Unfortunately the original hub doesn't really have enough meat to support 8 new holes. It's got big bosses cast in behind the flange for the original 6 studs to seat into but little material in between. Also, welding cast iron is tricky at best so I veered away from that idea. I did consider machining up a whole new hub but that ended up being much more involved than I wanted to get, even with using CNC machinery. I also considered welding the 8 holes on the wheels closed and redriling them to the original 6 on 7-1/4" pattern but that still left me with too much offset in the new wheels which would have required a spacer anyway. I'm much more of a machinist than a welder anyway. All in all there is a lot to think about with a project like this.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:56 pm

COPY AND PASTE: All in all there is a lot to think about with a project like this
That is so true.
I like to replace the axles with a set of DANA axles. I get better brakes and access to a parts supply. I like 4X4 looks so the Dana thingee works for me. 4X4 and modern axles is not for everyone. It may be the easiest upgrade. If a person does not say anything about the conversion, it will likely not be noticed. Most people do not know the difference.
One of my goals is to not raise the project any higher than necessary. A safe axle clearance is all I want.
Attachments
OUR R 120 4X4.jpg
At an IHC show and shine. 200,000+ miles
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:25 pm

I finally got all four new wheels mounted on my L122 and took the old pig for a rip.  It's still -10c and the roads are icy but I couldn't wait any longer - I had to see if all my work was worth it.  Wow what a huge improvement!  It's like a whole new truck.  It steers easier, handles better, and doesn't vibrate apart over 30mph.  Waaay better.  I'm pretty excited for spring now!

While I had the hubs off I took the opportunity to install new brake drums.  New replacement drums are "Unobtainium" so I opened up the center bores on new 12" × 2" L110 drums (which ARE available) and redrilled the mounting bolt circles to match the hubs. They look a bit like Swiss Cheese but I feel confident that they are safe the way they installed.  I had no choice really, other than serious re-engineering. 

I haven't made many concessions to modernity with this vehicle but I decided early on that a newer style dual-circuit master cylinder was a good idea.  My first attempts found me miscalculating the size but three tries later I finally figured it out and got the correct unit - a Raybestos MC-36468 which matches the original cylinders piston diameter of 1.125" and fits a "standard" 70's Ford mount with ports on the engine side.  Now the brakes feel great and the truck stops very well.  I still need to do final shoe adjustments and get the front/back bias dialed in but for now I'm very happy with the performance. Now I can put it to work!
Attachments
20200307_204343.jpg
20200316_193931.jpg
20200316_194049.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:34 am

Great work all around!
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)
Previous

Return to L, R and S