Muffler Location

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Muffler Location

I still have the muffler that was on the truck when I bought it. The muffler is located partially under the cab...so it resonates in the cab some. The tailpipe just dumps under the bed as shown in pic. Hangers would suggest it used to end behind rear tire. I want to move exhaust away from the cab. Do you guys have a location that you like best with your original engines? Is there a rule of thumb for distance from manifold to muffler on these old trucks? Any particular mufflers you really like the sound of on your truck? Stock, flowmaster, some other brand?

I plan to have a muffler shop make up a new exhaust in the near future. Thanks for any advice.
Attachments
IMG_2020.JPG
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Re: Muffler Location

Muffler location is better in some positions than others. In the 1960s, GM found that moving the muffler, as far back as is practical, to the rearmost position improved engine performance. These old IHC engines are so far out of the "performance" arena, location will not make any difference. I like to install the muffler under the box then bring the exhaust pipe over the axle and out behind the right fender.
There is a low pressure area behind the truck because of the flat-back cab and the tailgate. This tends to collect exhaust and drag it along with the truck. When forward motion stops, the exhaust will waft forward over the truck and may cause bad smell for the occupants.
The end of the tail-pipe should be turned down and toward the rear so the acidic exhaust will not contact the fender and cause premature corrosion. Almost every Jeep Cherokee of the 1990s corroded away from poor exhaust placement at the right rear area.
I have used and like the sound of a Flow Master muffler. These old IHC motors have a very pleasant exhaust note.
Do not reuse old exhaust parts. They will fail sooner and the installation will have to be done again.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:19 pm

When I had replaced the muffler all went back exactly as was slightly under the box , tailpipe dumps to back of rear passenger fender.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:05 pm

Re: Muffler Location

If I remember correctly I used 2-1/2" od from the manifold to the muffler then 2-1/4" od from there back as a tail pipe.  I used a Stanley Muffler Co part# CA-14 tractor muffler.  I was shooting for something similar to what originally used. I think it's about right and I really like the sound too.  As an added bonus it's designed for a Case 930 tractor so it's almost like OEM.  Ha!
I bought the muffler at a local farm supply store and took it to a custom muffler shop where I explained to the guy where I wanted the routing to go while he had it up on the hoist.  I like how it turned out.  Tip:  Don't take it to a chain outfit like Midas - go to a custom or competition shop that is used to doing hot rods and the like.
Attachments
20200316_212715.jpg
20200316_212755.jpg
20200316_212559.jpg
20200316_212943.jpg

Return to L, R and S