Forward Thinking - Transmission

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:54 am

Re: Forward Thinking - Transmission

Buzzman72 wrote:I've had several Internationals with the T-98, and my '46 K2-L had the T-9 "crashbox."

For daily driver use, first gear just wasn't used. Strictly 2-3-4, as if it was a 3-speed on the floor. First gear was pretty much for getting rolling while pulling or hauling a heavy load...which these days I'd find a more modern vehicle to do that job.

The "wear" problems I've seen on the T-98 have to do with them not wanting to remain in 3rd gear under deceleration. Might be weak poppet springs in the shifter mechanism, might be synchros. But that's the most common thing I've seen. Your mileage may vary.

The T-98 I have in another truck I plow snow with has that problem with compound low usually when I'm in low range pushing heavy wet snow. It's been doing it for years now an I unconsciously give the lever a little nudge on decel to compensate. One of these days I'm going to pull the shift tower and check the springs.

I use compound low on my 56 120 all the time in both two and four wheel drive on my property.....just not on the highway.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:22 pm

Re: Forward Thinking - Transmission

You might get lucky, but more likely is a worn shift fork or dog clutch on the gear.
Previous

Return to L, R and S