Parts Search - R112

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:00 pm

Re: Parts Search - R112

I had to mostly fend for myself when it came to finding what I needed for my Old IHC trucks. I have to admit this, it might have been a little easier 30 - 40 years ago when the IH parts supply had not totally run out.
One should always remember the bigger parts stores are in business to make money. The money feeds their families, sends their kids through school and if there is any time left, there might be some disposable income for a hobby.
If any person starts one of these Old IHC projects it should be remembered they may be on their own. It is not the responsibility of the parts store to waste time looking for obsolete parts and miss an opportunity to serve the modern vehicle trade. Learn how to use GOOGLE SEARCH. Join a forum like this and be prepared to spend some money. I was waiting in line at a NAPA and the struggling customer ahead of me was wasting everyone's time with a poor description and no numbers. I had been listening to his struggle when I suddenly recognised what he wanted. I told the parts counter guy, this is what he wants and I just happen to have the the part number on a note in my shirt pocket from a few days earlier. .
That old chunk of iron you bought for a few bucks will cost more than a modern truck to restore.
I have had the best results when I had done my due diligence and I arrived at the parts counter with a good description and parts numbers, in hand. Be prepared to accept substitutions. That Old IH differential may not be recoverable because of no parts availability and any used parts will be as old as and likely as worn out as the parts needing repair.
Always try to remember, with a few exceptions, you are not smarter than the OEM engineers. Your old IH should not go faster and stop safely unless modern components displace the old and slow.
Back in the 1940s and 1950s keeping moving on the bad roads was the situation. Stopping is what happened when the clutch was depressed. Brakes were important but only in town.
I never thought I or my Old IHC were important enough to get out in traffic and hold up the progress of others using the road.
For some persons, "keeping all original" is the cover for not knowing or understanding the mechanics. Quick fixes are only for guys like CB89. His extensive knowledge can turn a turd sandwich into chocolate cake. WEW51L110 is a good example of having used modern parts substitution to make his Old IHC into a modern and safe truck. His truck looks old and runs new.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Nikki your knowledge and abilities far out weigh mine and I respect your experience and view points. I don't fully agree with you on this. I'm not a wealthy man or even what you would consider well off yet so far I am able to keep my "Turd" of a truck on the road, mostly original and for not all that much money. My brakes are good and I endanger no one nor do I hold up traffic on the secondary roads I travel. This forum and the networking I do here is a huge reason why my old Binder can be an affordable poor mans hobby, I can find what I need and have fun with my truck. I am in awe of the trucks you and some of the other members here build but I think us turd truck guys do just fine too. I don't want to see any one get discouraged or think they have to sink $60 K in to their truck to have anything decent and driveable. My turd is on the road, capable of being driven daily and I have less than $6,000.00 including the truck itself into it.

My truck has a name that I haven't shared here but now I'm thinking of changing it to "The Turd". :mrgreen:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:51 pm

My comments were not aimed at any one person. I do not think you should take offence or ownership of anything I wrote, unless you think it fits.
I took ownership of NIKKINUTSHOP for myself after my Father's two useless brothers painted Nikkinutshop on the roadway side of Dad's shop. Mom suggested that I was asking for trouble. I told her I had just sent the invitation.
Spending lots of money is easy enough, when the funds are available. I was fortunate to be able to save 37+ years of smoking money in a savings account. The NO SMOKING account has more than enough to keep me in shop supplies and truck builds for the rest of my life. I will be 74 next week.
My family Doctor told me that I do nice work. He suggested he knows of no cure for the ugly I inherited :t1812: .
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Previous

Return to L, R and S