1952 L-162 project truck

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Re: 1952 L-162 project truck

I like to gently glass bead the inside of the lens to diffuse the light. This makes the light appear brighter and has a softer glow with few shadows.
Take note of the right upper side of the cab. IHC stamped an impression into the metal for a second interior light.
I fitted an interior light from a 1970s Ford sedan. This light had the usual plastic center light and right and left focused "eyes". While this worked better than the original I think it looked like crap, even after hours of careful fitting.
Attachments
cab light bulb change.jpg
OEM CAB LIGHT
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:49 am

[quote=Are the optional heaters easy to come by??? I think I would like to add a cabin light too. [/quote]

I may have a heater or two, unknown condition, clearing out property.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:06 pm

A few years ago, I bought a large storage locker. I hauled 9 truck loads of L&R pickup parts out. In the mix there was more than 12 under-dash heaters. Some were very ornate. All of the heater units had the complete controls with them. One unit was a fresh air heater. I gave the lot to my friend MagIHC Mike. Mike has sold a few and he may have about 10 left. I just got off the phone with Mike and he is finished with this parts thing.
Here is the bind. The USA border service has made it next to impossible for a Canadian, like Mike or myself, to economically ship any old truck parts to the USA. It has been our combined experience that if the parts cannot fit into an envelope there is going to be big problems.
Both Mike and I have had to face the high cost of buying a business license and pay for a broker. This is where we walked away.
I tried to ship some NOS gauges to an IHC restorer at no charge to him. My cost would have been into the hundreds of dollars to do the right thing. I was allowed to return to Canada with my parts without penalty, "This time." the person said.
So Mike and I have many hundreds of Old IHC pieces that we will likely send to recycling. I am done with shipping to the USA.
I don't like dealing with many of the Old IHC people. Too cheap and not wanting to spend money does not come close to describing the situation. I was called a bunch of expletives for asking for $20 for an NOS steering wheel and horn assembly. I sent another new steering wheel to an IHC guy and after close to a decade later I was able to shame him into paying the $75 he owed to me, I never got anything for the shipping cost at Canada Poste.
I am in my mid 70s and I am tired of doing the silly parts price dance. I do not need the stress. So, what we do not use will go to the city transfer station or Scout Pluss for his Canadian sales.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:02 am

I know, Dreaming, wish I could take a 24' enclosed up there and bring a bunch down. Next best thing, make a deal with scouts Plus.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:47 am

You have that order wrong. Scout Pluss, first then the other options.
I am not ready to "toss the towel in" just yet. Call ahead. Save yourself a trip.
There are a lot of Canadians restoring old Binders. First refusal is for locals.
Previous

Return to L, R and S