SD/BD/BG Water Pump Replacement - Gates 42317

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:00 am

Re: SD/BD/BG Water Pump Replacement - Gates 42317

Good job.
Some years back I met a guy with a B130-4X4 at a show, with the IH truck pump, I asked him how he ended up with a 6 blade flex fan. He told me he pulled the hub and installed a different hub from a chev. Also, said most manufacturers use the same diameter shaft.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:28 pm

I was looking at the increased cooling fans for the SD's and BD's and found that there's a 6-blade fan for IH with the same part number and same dimensions. I don't know that a 6 blade fan has much advantage on these engines, but they are available "bolt-on". https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/8689 ... _20241.htm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:51 pm

I am lucky to have bought a lathe. A few years ago, I turned shaft adapters for serpentine belt pullies for another guy's BD220. The serpentines pullies are almost free at auto recyclers.
I made narrow belt pullies for my original R120. I added a Saginaw power steering pump and a GM alternator.
What ever you can imagination, can be made.
Henry Ford said, "If you need a machine and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don't have it."
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:39 pm

I think an electric fan could be adapted to system to eliminate the possibility of extention failure, the stress on the pump would be reduced, engine power not being consumed by fan, maybe better fuel economy.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:57 pm

Old Ford engines from the "way-back-daze" had a carbon seal and a not pressurized cooling system.
When I ordered new coolant pumps for the Flathead V8, I bought modern style pumps with modern lip seals and sealed bearings. I do not know if this upgrade is available for Old IHC.
I am now able to run a pressurised cooling system for the Flathead.
I am running an electric cooling fan on my '40 ford. The electric cooling fan performs better if it is placed after the radiator.
I think it is important to do some research on electric cooling fans. There is a lot of outright BS and exaggeration from most of the electric fan makers. Some of the performance numbers would require more energy than most charging systems can supply. Caveat Emptor.
After due diligence I bought a SPAL 18" puller.
The intercooler fan is a BOSCH pusher fan from a BMW. It is the only design that fit the cramped space behind the Ford grill.
These Bosch fans are plentiful at BMW and Mercedes recyclers. I was paying about $5.00 each. These Bosch fans really put out.
Attachments
BOSCH intercooler fan.jpg
Bosch/BMW
intercooler~fan condensor ahead of the rad.jpg
before paint
CLOSE E NUF.jpg
tighter than a frog's a$$ in fly season.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed May 20, 2020 2:20 pm

After sitting idle for nearly 2 decades I got my 1951 L112 running. Sadly (not surprisingly) the water pump is leaking like you mentioned. Looks like that'll be one of the first projects! Then brakes, and probably a carb rebuild. Is R&R, and water pump rebuild difficult? Looks pretty straight forward... I haven't found my IHC manual yet. Plus it's in a tight area, and I've never "rebuilt" a water pump (R&R several, though).

Thanks for any insight!
J
85% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 20, 2020 4:53 pm

Here's the link to the "R" manual, only stuff different is kinda body stuff. Service and parts manual. R
http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/facts_manuals.html

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 21, 2020 8:18 am

If you have a rebuild kit with new seal, impeller, shaft, and gaskets, it takes maybe an hour to rebuild one. A small press is very helpful. If you have to buy tools, hunt for parts and fix anything else, then time and effort increase exponentially. That’s what convinced me to use the agricultural engine pump and get my brother to make a simple adapter.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu May 21, 2020 2:57 pm

So I'm guessing a rebuild kit is a tricky/pricey thing to locate? Rockauto doesn't even mention a pump! Lol
85% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 21, 2020 3:14 pm

These guys will sell you the parts or rebuilt it for you.
http://www.then-now-auto.com/
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S