Speedometer parts

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm

Speedometer parts

I have a ‘56 S-120. The odometer recently quit working. I got a new speedometer cable and replaced it. Still no odometer movement. I took the cable off the transfer case and put a drill on it to spin the cable and the odometer moved. I hooked the cable back up to the transfer case and removed the cable from the speedometer. When I drove the end of the cable that goes to the speedometer did not move. I took apart the parts that the speedometer cable hooks into on the transfer case and found the problem. The speedometer gears/shaft broke. Does anyone know of a replacement or have any suggestions? Or what these parts are called?
Attachments
IMG_6563.JPG
IMG_6564.JPG
IMG_6565.JPG
IMG_6566.JPG
IMG_6567.JPG
IMG_6568.JPG
IMG_6569.PNG
This is what broke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Re: Speedometer parts

I'm in the same boat with my 56 S120 4x. The speedo drive for the transfer case is knackered . I haven't got around to doing anything with it yet because of the rural area I live in, a speedometer just isn't that necessary. What I do have is a four speed transmission in the truck with a speedometer drive on it and I'm wondering if I could use that point to drive the cable, I would think it would be accurate with the transfer case in four high but I've yet to try it.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 pm

The little box with the gears is a ratio adaptor. Stewart Warner and White were mfg of them. Sometimes refered as a 777 box.
I believe the three screw type is a White, while the 4 screw was made by SW
The part that broke is a tang to square adaptor. You could try Autometer or Isspro or any shop that makes up cable drives.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:45 pm

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww- ... gJU8fD_BwE

Please note there are a few different size tangs and square drives so be sure to measure before ordering.

Return to L, R and S