Front Leaf Springs

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Front Leaf Springs

DennyC wrote:So you made me look at my S120 4x4. On mine, as the parts book shows, the pivot is at the front and shackles at the rear of the front springs. At rest the shackle is canted back a little. As a rough visual, the rear eye of the spring is about 3/4" behind the pivot of the frame mount. I also have what looks like very little distance for the front drive shaft to compress and no splines showing.

With that said, I don't think it is a problem. For one thing, after removing and replacing driveshafts, it becomes apparent there is much more travel than the amount of splines showing. They really will compress just about to the shoulders. I also laid on the creeper and studied the geometry and tried to visualize the amount of potential rearward movement of the axle. It is a relatively long front drive shaft and in stock configuration it is not at a very steep angle from horizontal. The other part of it is how much front axle travel can you reasonably expect. typically static load does not vary on the front as much as it does in the rear, unless you are posing a football team sitting on the front fenders. Dynamic load can occur from bumps or potholes, but if you are not 4wd racing it or doing jumps you will probably never see full vertical travel of the front axle.

In short, I think you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist. However if you have modified suspension or any kind of non-stock lift - which it doesn't appear you do from your pictures, ignore everything I just said.

If you are still concerned, I would be happy to compare some photos and/or dimensions with mine to see if they are similar or whose is the most worn.

Thanks, you make some good points. It may very well be OK as is. Maybe this weekend I'll mess around with a jack and a come along and cycle my front suspension from compressed to extended and and see where the slip joint is through out the cycle, that should give me a good indication on weather changes need to be made.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:24 pm

I finally got to check out my front leaf springs and I can see that they have sagged 2'' from where they should be in the static position. Does anyone have a source for replacement springs? It would be nice to just get a new set rather than hassle with a spring shop.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:39 pm

http://www.saintlouisspring.com/ They use the original IH part numbers, reasonable price, and will have them shipped to you within a week. Not affiliated with them, but I've gotten a set of springs from them and was happy.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:43 pm

Paul, many, many thanks!!
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 am

I have also had great luck in my dealings with them,,,,Quality people and they keep their promises!

Terrell

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Update: My springs came right away the hold up was getting the front bushings. That said they finally came and I installed the springs today. I'm very happy with the quality and service from St. Louis Spring Co. The ride height of the truck is now correct and the front drive shaft slip joint now has the right amount of movement. No more banging in the drive line on rough terrain!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:20 am

Congratulations Mike! I'm happy to hear that this saga has a happy ending for you. I can imagine how much better your pick-up must sit and ride now.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Previous

Return to L, R and S