Other Repairs When Pulling Engine?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:42 am

Re: Other Repairs When Pulling Engine?

My front motor mount bracket was cracked and required welding along with the front V shaped motor mount. Might be a good time to paint things that you couldn’t get to easily before. If your front u joint is worn you will have it discounted so it would be a good time to replace.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:45 am

One more thing I forgot to mention was getting your flywheel ground down.Most will be scored or glazed and having that done will freshen up the surface for the new friction disc.
56 S120 4x4,

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:20 am

Thanks for the additional suggestions.

I also think we should start a new thread with a pole on who prefers original OEM over a modern engine.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:54 pm

my advice for what it's worth is get your parts Before the engine work is done,

have a friend who had his crank and rod journals turned to .020 under,,, can't find .020 bearings anywhere, found .030 now has to have it turned Again,

same with pistons, had the holes punched .030 over, can only find .040 pistons, has to re-bore the block,

not the end of the world as He did find parts, sometimes parts just don't exist anymore
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 am

bedrockjon wrote:my advice for what it's worth is get your parts Before the engine work is done,

have a friend who had his crank and rod journals turned to .020 under,,, can't find .020 bearings anywhere, found .030 now has to have it turned Again,

same with pistons, had the holes punched .030 over, can only find .040 pistons, has to re-bore the block,

not the end of the world as He did find parts, sometimes parts just don't exist anymore

This makes sense. As of now I've found everything I need under/over sized but I should probably talk to the builder and grab what I can now.
Previous

Return to L, R and S