1950 L Series Hidden Hinges

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:51 am

Re: 1950 L Series Hidden Hinges

Using anecdotal evidence to make a point is usually looked upon as inferior to showing actual numbers.

But I have seen FAR fewer L-series with hidden hinges. So did the hidden hinges REALLY last that long?

Of course, this ignores the fact that the exposed hinges ran from 1951 thru at least 1968 on the R-series and V-series trucks, far beyond the numbers of hidden hinge trucks built between November 1949 and January 1951.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:31 am

I am sure there was a reason IH went back to the exposed hinges after only one year. I have just been unable to find a good statement of what that reason was. My questions weren't just for something to do. I've owned L, R and S series pickups since the early 1970's, and always liked the looks of the hidden hinge L's. So I have paid attention to them when I've seen them. These old pickups were common in salvage yards, farm fields, and even on car lots 45 years ago. I didn't see one with any obvious door problem, but no, I haven't seen them all. And I've searched for posts on multiple forums since the invention of the Internet and haven't found the answer. (I didn't count each post, so Nikki has a point I should not claim hundreds. And my father told me a million times not to exaggerate.)

I now have a 1950 L110. If there is a problem with the hinges, I'd like to do what I can to address it before the cab and doors are all painted and back together. So my real question is, "What is the problem?" It appeared that Nikki perhaps knows, but I think I offended him with the phrasing of my post, and I am sorry for that.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:57 pm

According to Wisconsin Historic Society 28702 L-110, 111, 112 trucks were built in 1950,

start serial number Jan 2 1951 is 29203, according to my parts book exposed hinges start after serial number 30197,

in 1951 an average of 2,413 trucks were built per month, according to book and database 994 hidden hinge truck were finished in 1951,

using deduction, these were probably trucks in stages of completion on assembly lines from 1950, they finished out the run is early first week or so of January and went to exposed hinges from then on,

so far no one knows exactly WHY the change for sure,

I know this doesn't account for the L-120 and up trucks, just a snapshot of what the factory was doing,

EDIT: my parts book is updated version, there is only picture of exposed hinge, does anyone have an early L parts book that shows hidden hinge along with part numbers?
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Good points B72.
My experience (anecdotal) with about 5 of these hidden hinge trucks was this. The hinges were not able to withstand vibration which lead to sagging and breakage.
I suppose my driving a 1953 R120 got the attention of other persons with Old IHC trucks. I was offered 5 hidden hinge trucks. Over about the same number of years I was given or bought 14 open hinge trucks. I turned the offers down because of the hinge failure situation.
One of the 1950 trucks I remember was sitting just off Stewardson Way in New Westminster. The owner called me over and offered the IH for free. He said there was a problem with the driver's door. When he opened the door, he used two hands and the door came right off. He set the door on the ground. The owner went on to show the passenger side hinge where it was well into the failure mode. The seldom used truck was accessed through the passenger side, only.
The owner said his father bought the truck new at Pacific IHC Trucks in 1950. He said the hinges were replaced quite a few times until the dealer ran out of parts and the father parked the truck semi-permanently. The dealer said the hinges were failing because the design was not able to support the heavy doors.
I know two guys with the early "L" trucks. They have not experienced the hidden hinge fail yet, but then their trucks seldom get taken out for a drive. One of these trucks gets driven on sunny days and then only on smooth paved roads.
Another design problem with the early "L" truck was the placement of the spot-welded in place transverse rear cab support. On the early trucks this transverse brace was on the inside of the truck. The spotwelds were failing and the brace was lifting off the floor of the cabs.
I will attach two pictures of the later model transverse brace. This shows the brace welded to the underside of the cab. This cab floor is from an R190. Notice the center cab mount.
Attachments
R190 cab rear mounting.jpg
mount on the underside.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Thank you. That points me in the right direction at least. I have noticed the top-mounted transverse brace for the cab, and the improvement made at least by the R series on that. I don't recall the cab mounts on my '51 L, since it has been gone for years.

Bedrockjon, My MT-63 and the one on the Gangster IH Library here are both Revision 5. They have part numbers for the hidden hinges, and I'd be happy to post them if there are ones you need, but they only show the picture of the exposed hinges.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Bedrockjon, My MT-63 and the one on the Gangster IH Library here are both Revision 5. They have part numbers for the hidden hinges, and I'd be happy to post them if there are ones you need, but they only show the picture of the exposed hinges.

My parts book has the the hidden hinge part numbers in it, just no picture with parts numbers pointing to each piece, mine is MT-63 revision 5 as well,
I was curious to see the blow up picture of the hidden hinges,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Previous

Return to L, R and S