6v flasher

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:30 pm

6v flasher

I have been chasing down and restoring function on my 50 L110. I also have an L120 of the same year. Trying to get turn signals working, but no luck. I am suspicious of the flasher ( #535). I have tested the flasher out of both trucks, and both appear to not function. The light stays on on load side. The "dash" lead doesn't light. I realize these are fairly cheap to replace, but what is the likelihood that both are bad ? Perhaps my test method is not exact, but I followed procedure as found online. Are these prone to failure after sitting for years ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:43 pm

Re: 6v flasher

You can test them using a couple of clip leads, a light bulb and your battery. Over the years most of the old trucks I've brought home have had flashers that didn't work so I'd say the odds of you having two that are bad aren't all that long. When I work on turn signals I like to start out with a new or known good one, as you say they're cheap and it eliminates one component from the get go that could be bad. I have also found more than few bad aftermarket turn signal switches in old trucks and Jeeps to know that they can often be the source of troubles with the circuit.
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks, good information, now should I get the newer electronic version, it's not load sensitive and can run LEDs, or stick with old syle, guess that would be up to me . Any pros or cons ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:38 pm

I think both have there place depending on your circuitry needs. I do think solid state devices can be more fragile and if I'm keeping the wiring original and simple I lean toward the old bi-metal type flasher.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:19 pm

light stays on is bad ground, fix your ground issue, and it should work ,,,if it's a good one,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:56 pm

There are 2 variants of the 535 flasher, one for positive ground, one for negative ground, make sure you have the right one

Return to L, R and S