Rear Main Bearing Cap

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Rear Main Bearing Cap

Checking bearing clearance. Rear main bearing cap has 4 bolts and when all taken out doesn’t seem to want to come off. What is the trick or what am I doing wrong?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Re: Rear Main Bearing Cap

You need to tap the bearing cap side to side with a soft hammer. The cap position should be noted and marked if it is not a one-way only install. Be gentle.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 pm

This is a very uneducated (newbie) question. Is this rear main bearing cap a lot different than the others? It almost looks like it extends down to the bottom of the block and back underneath the clutch cover. Does this makes sense? Can you elaborate on this cap? It doesn't look like it simply unbolts and pops off. I tried tapping it with a soft hammer and it's not budging.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:40 pm

The rear bearing cap goes to the centerline of the crankshaft. There are 4 bolts holding it in place.
Maybe, if you are struggling with this problem, you should get some professional help from a machinist.
These old engines are referred to as simple, but, in fact they are very much the same as a modern engine. It is important to be able to measure clearances and recognize when machining is required.
Installing new bearings and rings, without knowing what to use, will almost certainly be courting failure.
This is what you need to know and understand.
I can post a picture of the rear bearing cap, but I don't think it will help you with a successful assembly.
Attachments
rear bearing cap.jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Yes the rear main cap is completely different than the other three. It is possible to remove it by tapping it back and forth but it is best to use a puller. The puller needed can be home made easily. In the shop manual it looks like an inverted "U" with the legs resting on the block and an all threaded bolt that screws into a hole near the center of the cap. Tightening a nut on that bolt will pull it out. You can download the CTS-11 manual by googling the"Restoring Cornelia" website.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:58 am

The rear cap has to be pulled straight up (assuming the block is upside down). Easiest is probably to find two deep sockets of the same length. Put one on either side of the cap. Set a piece of steel with a hole in it across the sockets. As I recall, the thread into the cap is 5/16 coarse, but could be 3/8. So the hole in the steel bar needs to be anything bigger than that. Screw a piece of all thread into the cap, through the hole in the steel bar, and put a nut on it. Tighten the nut against the steel bar and it pulls the cap up.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks for the explanations. Yes I did end up finding the disassembly instructions in the manual. Have you ever used a slide hammer for this? My buddy said he has one I can borrow.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 am

Slide hammer is good.

Return to L, R and S