Tanks

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:46 am

Tanks

Do you guys know the difference with gas tanks? I have 2 tanks that I'm currently working with to figure out which one is the better to use. They are both close in condition, both need welding and cleaning. They seem to be the same shape and size, only difference really is the fuel supply line. One has the supply and shut off valve on the side of the tank that sits closest to the frame. The fuel gauge sending unit is on top, offset towards the front of the truck. The second tank has both the fuel supply and gauge sending unit on the top, pretty dead center of the tank. There is no shutoff valve for this one. Why is this?? Did IH outsource tanks to different vendors? More curious than anything else since both will work with a mechanical fuel pump. The tank that has the supply on the top, does anyone have this same type and do you know where to get a replacement piece for that?
Attachments
tank4.jpg
tank2.jpg
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:13 am

Re: Tanks

The light-duty truck tanks I've seen have the fuel tube going in from the top. The R-series medium duty (MT-96) parts book I looked at didn't show pictures of the tank, but it may be a light-duty vs. medium-duty truck difference. Either should work with a mechanical fuel pump as long as the fuel tube extends to near the bottom of the tank.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:44 pm

In the mid 90's, when I was restoring my truck, I figured if I had problems with the sender or pickup tube it would be easier to have access. I cut a 6 inch hole with a hole saw under the front cushion, got a section f .063 aluminum with gasket and screwed it down, since then I have replaced the sender and installed a 5/16th line instead of the 1/4 inline. Everything is on the top.
Just a heads up.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:21 pm

my truck is a 52' L-112. There was no gas tank where it's supposed to be. The previous owner installed a plastic lawn mower tank in the bed but gave me the tank with the fuel supply coming out of the top of tank, however the original fuel line that is still in place seems as if it's set up perfectly to attach to the bottom of the tank.
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:02 pm

It may be illegal to have a fuel line, for automotive use, come out of the bottom of the fuel tank. You can Google for the regulations in your state.
On the off chance, you or anyone else reading this thread, a used fuel tank can remain explosive for decades after it is empty. I safety is not your thing, just ignore this.
In the 1960s, there was an old machine shop near my Dad's shop. One day there was a big explosion. The owner was doing some repair/modifications on a gasoline tank. The tank had been flushed with cold water, only. The owner was killed when the force of the explosion blew out the concrete block walls and the steel truss roof fell on the shop. Fortunately for his employees, the lathes and milling machines held the falling roof and saved their lives.
In this area, a good radiator shop would be a good place to take a fuel tank for repairs and sealing.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:52 pm

The tank with the outlet at the bottom is for an early L series I believe. Not sure when they changed to the pickup tube on the top of the tank, but my '50 L110 has the outlet at the bottom with a short bent tube inside. And my guess is that if you look inside, that one has a baffle.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:51 am

My 51 was at the bottom, my 56 is at the top.
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:55 am

all great information, thanks. My original plan was to use the tank that had the supply at the top anyway since that is the better of the two. Does anyone know where I can get that small diamond shaped piece for the fuel line that attaches to the tank? Or ideas on making one? The one I have is roached.
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:01 pm

I hope that you are able to make that simple fuel line piece. This may be the easiest challenge of your project. This may be a simple way to get started making pieces. The project will have much more difficult challenges for you.
I and others have posted information on fuel tanks more than a few times. You could use the forum "search". Buzzman72 has posted the tank dimensions for that person with the desire to make a tank.
Call these guys. They are adding new tanks to their options from time to time. http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... /cat59.htm
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:54 pm

I have 5 L, R, S, tanks, need to sell, but I understand I can't ship a used tank?
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Next

Return to L, R and S