Tanks

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Re: Tanks

I talked with Tanks Inc. They would be interested in making a tank for the L, R, S series, but would have to have a minimum order of 100 before they'd do it. There are a lot of opinions on whether used tanks can be shipped. One of the companies in the business of cleaning and relining motorcycle tanks says:
Tank Prep
Drain the tank and rinse it out with hot soapy water (laundry detergent works well) to minimize fumes. Close openings (rags, plugs, or tape). Put the tank in a plastic bag and seal it, then wrap in 2-3 layers of 1/2" bubble wrap. Pad the tabs and corners to prevent damage.

The Box
It must be in good condition and at least 2"-3" larger than the tank on all sides. Add 3" of packing material (padding, foam peanuts, or kraft paper) to the bottom of the box then add the tank. Continue filling the rest of the box with packing material, then compress it enough to prevent the tank from shifting in the box. Add more packing material and compress it again, then close the box and seal it.

These are the Safe Shipping Standards for most carriers. Neither UPS or FedEx will pay claims on packages that do not clearly meet their standards.

I have seen automotive gas tank cleaners and sealers with the same online instructions for shipping tanks to them.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Or find a sucker like me that is headed that way, like I did for the fellow in Minnesota. hehehe. Had room in the bed of the pickup for my trip to my family in Missouri. Was it worth it, not really but I made a fellow member happy and got to see some country I have not seen before. I like the Idea of packing and shipping.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks Paul, I guess I have to clean them to ship, makes my price go up if I have to mess with them,
But I do need to send them down the road,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:37 pm

Ibesq, I did not know you were from Missouri. Is that the Show me state? You show me yours and I will show you, mine. Maybe, I got that wrong. Well, that is the way I heard it.
I wonder how many meaningful relationships started off with a little show and tell.
I talked to our friend Mike yesterday. He is doing well.
Attachments
thankyou card.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:03 pm

"Ibesq, I did not know you were from Missouri. Is that the Show me state? You show me yours and I will show you, mine. Maybe, I got that wrong. Well, that is the way I heard it."
No, my Folks were from Kansas and Missouri, I was born in Oregon, but call Idaho home. Missouri is the "show me state" and I have been told by my cousins that some can be as stubborn as Missouri Mules.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:01 am

My '51 L-110 didn't have a tank when I bought it.

My '52 L-110 had the tank with the outlet on the frame side of the tank...NOT the bottom of the tank. Mine also had a shut-off valve on it. I replaced that with a brass shut-off valve.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:49 pm

And I should have been more clear - my '50 has the outlet on the frame side NEAR the bottom, on the frame side, not actually on the bottom of the tank. And then has a shutoff valve.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:51 am

That is exactly like one of my tanks. I tried removing the shut off valve but it ended up breaking loose but won't come out. Regardless I sent the other tank out to get blasted and coated. I sent it to Moyer Tank Renu in Pennsylvania. I also sent the sending unit out to get rebuilt at Tri Starr Radiator in upstate NY. I'll report back when they get returned
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:45 am

Thanks Goyanks1

Here is a link to Moyer Tank Renu commonly asked questions....

http://www.gas-tank.com/FAQ.htm
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver