Keystone turbo

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

rcb

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:30 pm

Keystone turbo

Does anyone have video of their truck with the turbo running? I was reading that some likened it to a SBC, but did anyone dyno it?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:03 am

Re: Keystone turbo

It was I who said that, but mis understood what Kevin had said, He said it does pull like a 283 or 305 SBC but not as much as a 350 or 400. I don't think he ever dyno'd it.

rcb

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:55 am

Ah ok. I've had this 4bt sitting here that I originally intended to put in it, but then I came across the keystone turbo. This is in an S160 that we will be using for towing and miscellaneous farm work. I've got a 10 speed for the 4bt but I could put a brownie box in it if I can find one if I turbo'd the BD264. I'd love to put a DT360 in it, but I'd have to either cut the firewall or put the doghouse off a r190 on it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:19 am

It depends on your expectations, I have pulled 18K with a well worn BLD269. I would think a turbo 265 would best that. If your thinking either of your engines will be happy pulling a travel or horse trailer down the hiway at 65 -70, think again.
The limiting factor on a carb'd turbo set-up is you can't intercool it unless you use a blow through set-up, which is not what the Keystone is. Even with a blow though intercooled, you are limited by the fuel available today to prevent knocking, which can be very detrimental to an engine when at hi boost.
The Turbo diesel 4 can be intercooled but has limited displacement.

rcb

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:17 am

Well, my thinking is if my one ton with a 350tbi can pull a horse trailer down the road at 60, the 4bt putting out 50% more ft lbs should be able to do it. I've considered a dt360 but I hate to cut a perfectly good cab. I may try locating a r190 which may take a dt360 without any hacking. For me the bird in the hand is worth two in the bush however. I've got the S160 and the 4bta.. but much like you suggest I do feel that a bigger motor will be what I'm ultimately after. Just hate to get rid of the S160 since it's been largely refreshed mechanically, new brakes, new electrical, lines, yada yada..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:09 am

Peak torque is not the only consideration. Plot out the spec's for what you have now and the torque curve for the 4bt and then look at the trans and rear ratio.
Not saying neither can move the load, but it may require the 10 spd and lots of shifting. A broad torque range is more useful than a higher torque peak.

Return to L, R and S