Oil pan help

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:23 am

Oil pan help

I spent this past weekend cleaning and degreasing the engine and transmission of my 52'. What a fun project that has been :t2102:
With this I want to change some of the leaky gaskets. Anyhow, I dropped the oil pan to find an inch plus of heavy sludge. After I cleaned that out I found a couple of pinholes in the bottom of the pan. All that crap in the bottom kept the holes plugged up so it didn't leak, from those spots anyway. Please tell me what you guys think. The hole seam small enough to repair, just want to get some opinions/ideas. Thanks, Mike
Attachments
oil pan.jpg
oil pan2.jpg
oil pan3.jpg
oil pan4.jpg
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:31 am

Re: Oil pan help

Depends on what equipment you have and your skill level. either weld a patch on from either side if the metal around the holes is weak (covering the weak area) or braze the holes is the defect is small and the surrounding metal is good.
Might be easier to replace if you can lay your hands on a good pan.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:04 am

The gas tank on my 51 was the same way, it didn't leak until I cleaned it out, it had a number of pin holes. I used JB Weld on it and it held great. Six years later when I sold it it was still leak free.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:24 am

Brazing or soldering should be good enough to make the repair. Welding on the thin metal pan may make too much heat and cause burn holes. A good used pan is the best option, if you are able to find one.
Avoid skin contact with the sludge. The sludge is likely toxic and carsigenic.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:55 am

I have a Miller 141 mig welder, novice skill level. I don't mind going the JB weld route first. I'm also willing to try and weld it although I should have a back-up oil pan if it doesn't go well. Oh Nikki you are wise. I wore long pants, boots, long sleeve shirt and rubber gloves. Of course it was during a heat wave too. I have a nasty rash on both forearms, itches like crazy. I want to rip my skin off!! :t0119: I do get poison ivy real bad but there isn't any growing in my garage lol. **** I wish I knew sooner!
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:18 pm

Much of that deposit in the oilpan is from the very toxic ethyl lead that was mixed in gasoline to raise the octane. I do not accept the often repeated thing about the ethyl lead cushioning the valve seats. If this was the case, it was a coincidence and likely not by design. Ethyl lead deposits were very hard. I have seen valves held open and burned by a small piece breaking away.
It was truthfully said, in the days of ethyl lead, "There are no old mechanics." The situation changed. Was it education of the mechanics to wearing protection or was it because of ethyl lead being discontinued. I accept a combination of this.
Several factors ended the use of ethyl lead. The main change was due to the introduction of catalytic converters. The other was research into increased number of cancer victims. This was blamed on raised ethyl lead levels in persons.
PS: A side note. Higher octane is not more powerful. Octane additives slow the burn of the fuel to reduce that destructive pinging noise in an engine. A low performance, low compression engine like an Old IHC will perform better on regular. Only a high performance engine will benefit from raised octane. The manufacturer will say when this is required.
My uncle was a mechanic in a small town, real "service" station. He used to tease his sister by saying, "I pump "Ethyl" all day as part of my job." Ethyl used to be a popular girl's name. Uncle Hans died at 55 from smoking and "complications".
If that Miller 141, mentioned by the OP, is a flux-core set up, it is not suitable for welding thin steel or more so steel thinned by corrosion. If that 141 can run wire and a shielding gas, like BlueShield TM 8, a mixture of 75% Argon-25% CO2.
Ask you welding gas supplier for recommendations. I would recommend using a welding wire no thicker than .023". I am not aware of thinner welding wire. Ask.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:05 pm

Back in the day of lead body filler, we mechanic's used to say there were no old body men. With all the heavy metals in bearing etc, lead isn't the only worry. In aviation, even the low lead fuel has more lead than automotive gas ever had, and the 130- 140 (military) av-gas had a lot of lead in it.
Moisture combined with combustion gases can form acids in the crankcase, acid together with heavy metals is a good reason to wear protective clothing. It is also a good reason to install a PCV system to get the moisture and combustion gases out of the crankcase.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:29 pm

On another forum a bunch of us discussed how many these days wear disposable mechanics gloves when we worked on our trucks. Most said they did. Then I asked how many way back didn't wear any and when they finished they cleaned their hands with a gasoline soaked rag and got mostly yes answers to that too.
56 S120 4x4,

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:34 pm

I would get a good used one and replace.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:09 pm

TNbogy wrote:I would get a good used one and replace.

Usually the first and best option but with the age of these trucks and the scarcity of many parts easier said than done.
56 S120 4x4,
Next

Return to L, R and S