The Quest Goes On...

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:38 pm

The Quest Goes On...

....for my transmission. I was at my local junkyard today and came across two older IH Pick up trucks. One was a 70's vintage four wheel drive, it looked like a one ton, had a divorced transfer case and the badge on the truck said 1000. It has a four speed in it. The other truck was a 74 two wheel drive with no badges but looked like at least a 3/4 ton and it also had a four speed . After thinking long and hard I've decided on a T-98 for my truck so I'm wondering what the likelihood of either of these trucks having one? This time of year this particular junkyard is knee high in weeds and crawling with rattlesnakes so I didn't go too far under either truck for a look see. So before I do look further into this do I have a chance that either of these would be a T-98 and where on the body of the transmission would I find the number? My T-9 has the number embossed on the side would a 98 have it in the same place? I'd like a little more info before I look into these more. This is a U- pull- it yard.

Did I mention I hate rattlesnakes?
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:00 pm

Re: The Quest Goes On...

Some time ago I offered to make an adapter kit to mount a Borg Warner TEC5 to an old IHC engine. So far I have not been able to source an engine. My friend has a Ford wrecker/recycling business and he has offered to lend me a TEC5. These transmissions were in the Fox Body Mustangs.
Does anyone have any interest in this conversion?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:41 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Some time ago I offered to make an adapter kit to mount a Borg Warner TEC5 to an old IHC engine. So far I have not been able to source an engine. My friend has a Ford wrecker/recycling business and he has offered to lend me a TEC5. These transmissions were in the Fox Body Mustangs.
Does anyone have any interest in this conversion?

Sounds interesting but for me I live in a a steep mountainous area and for some of what I do with the truck I need a compound low along with low range in the transfer case so my truck will crawl over rough terrain when the situation calls for it. I use my 4WD a fair amount so I'm holding out for the T-98.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:07 pm

I agree with you. The TEC5 is more for the pickups.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:44 am

Well looks like these trucks aren't likely to have what I'm after so I will be taking a trip up to Colorado next week, a guy supposedly has four of them in his shed that came out of IH's, one's all I need. I've been digging around the web looking for pictures and descriptions to hopefully help in getting the right gear box.

t98a_2_a77806453055218584757e40c1f3cb017748c6c2.jpg
56 S120 4x4,

Return to L, R and S