To paint or not to paint?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:49 am

To paint or not to paint?

I know it's all personal preference and budget but I'm just curious what you guys have done with your old trucks and how you like them. Now that I've driven mine around a bit I've gotten a lot of questions and comments on body/paint. Many say it looks great like it is and then there are a couple that say if it were theirs they would put some fresh paint to it. At this point I really have no plans on doing any body and paint except the inside of the bed because it is really bad. This truck has some old body filler, a few bubbles here and there but it is very solid for what it is and there are currently no rust holes anywhere, except the inside of the bed and a little bit about an inch above the windshield from where the corn crib roof was leaking and dripping on the truck. I do have the tailgate but it's not on in these pictures. I don't have any current pictures yet so I'll have to get some taken this weekend but below are a couple older ones. It cleaned up pretty nice.

What's your preference, rustic or painted?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:55 am

Re: To paint or not to paint?

On a truck with that kind of "patina," my Pappy would've said to "fog" some paint in the bed, rather than doing a lot of surface prep. The rest looks fine to me.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:36 am

I'd leave it as is.
56 S120 4x4,

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:18 am

Buzzman72 wrote:On a truck with that kind of "patina," my Pappy would've said to "fog" some paint in the bed, rather than doing a lot of surface prep. The rest looks fine to me.

I'm definitely going to have to lay something down in the bed. I don't have any direct close up pictures of it but it is filled with holes and wavier than the ocean in a hurricane. The bed is also split at the front and is bowed towards the cab of the truck. Haven't decided what I'm going to lay in it yet. It was a farm truck and you can tell they used the bed hard but everything else in really good condition. The driver side rear fender had gotten a dent in it at one time and somebody used a hammer to pound it out. No other dents that don't blend in.

Binder Mike wrote:I'd leave it as is.

This is where I'm at with it now. I definitely do appreciate the cherry ones but don't think I will go that route.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:57 am

Up to you, but when you address the bed, if not hauling stuff, maybe a loose fitting long board floor. The more you cover it, the more any water will continue to make the holes bigger. For paint, if it is original paint and color, I like the "natural" look. Once you start on the "paint it" route, it never seems to end and then the "worry" about damage to the paint. Just my thoughts.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:13 am

lbesq wrote:Up to you, but when you address the bed, if not hauling stuff, maybe a loose fitting long board floor. The more you cover it, the more any water will continue to make the holes bigger. For paint, if it is original paint and color, I like the "natural" look. Once you start on the "paint it" route, it never seems to end and then the "worry" about damage to the paint. Just my thoughts.

I like the long board floors. Can't be too nice looking or it won't fit in though. My mother actually builds cabinets and sometimes she has to intentionally damage the wood in certain ways because the customer wants that rustic look. Maybe I'll have to get her involved. It's not the original paint but not sure on color. I assumed with black bed and the funky spot of red they left at the bottom of the rear fenders it was their own design. I understand what you're saying about fresh paint. I have a 1965 Mustang the previous owner painted with IH Red tractor paint. I've been tossing around having decent paint put on it but every time I get home and park it and there's black rubber up the side behind the rear tires and mud splatters and plastered on bugs I change my mind.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:25 am

If you do paint the truck, consider using RUSTOLEUM. RUSTOLEUM is inexpensive, applies easily and looks OEM. $100 would cover the cost and there will be money left for a drive-thru lunch at McDonalds, for two.
I vote for painting the truck most of the time. Now, I am not so sure.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:17 pm

Was the bed always a different color than the cab? Paint looks in good shape other than petina....which is awesome....I would leave it as is other than maybe some work on your bed. Maybe you can take the bed off and flip it over and work out the dents and repair the holes. Or leave as is....has character.

You could also reupholster the seat and maybe powder-coat dash if you want to spiffy up the interior for riders. They make a white powder coat that matches the white of the ash tray perfect .
There is a polish I have that works great on chrome knobs and such. I'll post a pic of the polish later tonight after work. I don't have a pic of it right now. Jay Leno mentioned the polish on one of his car shows years ago.
Attachments
Dash-2.JPG
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Powder plastic coating the dash is well over $100. A can of Rustoleum is about $11. Powder coating is not well understood and may not be for every application. I have posted real life experiences with powder coating parts on the forum. Use the forum search to find it.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:35 am

I'm currently in that process now. I love the old patina, rusty look. I say leave it. I'm doing a cab swap and just sanded it down and sprayed a matte clear coat over it. Any major rust holes, I repaired. I also have some old bondo which I left as-is, just hit it with the sander.
Attachments
cab3.jpg
cab2.jpg
cab1.jpg
1952 L-112 Long Bed
Next

Return to L, R and S