Pennsylvania Title Issue

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:13 am

Pennsylvania Title Issue

Finally got my aunt to get everything lined up to transfer the title on my 1953 R112. I am in Pennsylvania. 2 issues with what I received back. 1) They spelled my name wrong. No biggie should be an easy fix. 2) The title and registration have the truck down as a 1967. THIS NOT GOOD!

From what I have seen online over the past few years PA seems to be more strict with these older vehicles and getting them registered. I would like to know how you would go about doing this. I don't want to open up a can of worms. Unfortunately I didn't make copies of the original title but I do remember the registration card that was in the truck said 1957 on it. I read somewhere that back in those days that could have been when the truck was sold, but seems odd it wouldn't get sold for 4 years.

I would like to be prepared when I call PA DOT. Is there a reputable source that would have details on what year my truck is by going off the "VIN" which is R112785? I would at least like to provide this with a picture of the "VIN" on the truck. Anything else you think I should do?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:51 am

Re: Pennsylvania Title Issue

1953 to 1967 is 14 years.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:55 am

Truck is a 1953. An old registration that was left in the truck from decades ago had on it that is was a 1957. That's what I meant by 4 years. The title I just received a couple days ago says 1967.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 am

I assume it is a US built truck, so Wisconsin Historical Society is your source for the year built and the Line Setting Ticket which is it's build sheet. The contact person may have changed since I put this here in 2013, but this is the place to get them: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1374&p=8229&hilit=wisconsin+historical+Society#p8229

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:09 pm

I live in Pa and had to clear some hurdles myself to get a new title on my '49. I'm no expert but have learned a few things. Not sure if you are located in Pa first of all, I'd recommend going to a good title service that deals with registrations, titles and the like for info. PennDot is tough to deal with over the phone, long wait times,etc. I'd have them run the title number to see if it is still in the system. Old titles get purged and deleted, that was the case for mine. Registrations are pretty much useless for title purposes. I went the abandoned vehicle route and got a hearing to determine ownership, a little time consuming but it all came out good in the end. A good private licensing service can answer your questions and advise the best path to take, in my experience. Good luck !

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:30 pm

As MCGIVER said, PennDOT is definitely not the place to call. PA farms out all their customer service work to "business partners" - title services, notaries, dealers, and my personal favorite, AAA. My AAA membership has paid me back many times over with what they have saved me in title and registration work.

Wherever you go, they will have the correct form, an MV-41 Correction of Vehicle Record, and will help you through the rest of the process. It may require an inspection mechanic or other qualified person look at your truck and/or serial plate.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPu ... /MV-41.pdf

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:51 am

To get the correct year for your truck, this is a good place to start:

http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/ref/collection/ihc/id/5529

Prove to them the year it was built, THEN do the correction form...
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:06 am

Thanks guys. The links you provided are helpful. I think I will start by calling my local notary that I worked with when transferring the title for the 1965 Mustang I bought in Virginia. They knew what they were doing. I also want to get the truck registered antique which I may need their help with. The guy that did my transfer didn't do antique registrations so I had to register it normal.

Return to L, R and S