IH Hoods.....

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:38 pm

IH Hoods.....

......A love hate relationship. I spent the afternoon chasing down a short in the wiring harness of my truck lifting one side and then closing it and then having to open the other side, back and forth, a PITA . When everything is working it's kind of a cool feature and fun to show off to non IH people and I like being able to remove the hood entirely in a matter of minutes but that's only when there's someone around to help. When my truck sits for any length of time I disconnect one of the battery cables so when it's time for another ride I have to open the one side put the cable on, close it, then open the other side to jump the regulator terminals to polarize the genny. What were the boys at IH thinking when they came up with this one? Like I said, a love hate relationship. :mrgreen:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Re: IH Hoods.....

You don't have to polarize each time, only when the polarity of the truck has changed. Once done it whould last the lifetime of the generator.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:43 pm

Well something good came out of my little rant. :D I always thought if the battery was disconnected you had to do it each time. Thanks for that info!
56 S120 4x4,

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:57 pm

My son is on the Fire Dept. in the town where he lives. They have an R Series pumper which at that time had been stored off site for several years. It had been taken out of service before he got there so he had never been around it. A couple years ago he and another guy went up to try and get it running. That night he called me and said that someone had stolen the hinges off the hood and just set it back in place, and did I know where they might find some? I explained to him how that hood worked and that everything was fine the way it was. They felt kind of foolish, but had a good laugh over it!
Rich

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 pm

I USED to be able to unlatch both sides and lift off the hood myself,,,,and put it back on myself, I'd put towels or something on the fender tops to protect in case I was crooked,

I USED to be able to,,,,,,,,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Growing old sucks, but is better than any alternative currently available.
I used to be able to stack two 8D batteries and carry them on to a bus! now one would about kill me.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Scroll down the main page to the title: “ What special tools have you made” and look for the entry of “Light weight over-head crane: hood lifter”. It sure has helped me and perhaps stimulate a solution for others.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:30 pm

Nice design! It would save me from calling my neighbor down the road every time and saying "Hey Bob I got a couple of cold ones here for ya if you come up and help me pull my hood".
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:48 pm

The company where I worked had special battery carts to move and install the 8D batteries. They weigh 161 pounds each. Two of then together total 322 pounds.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:22 pm

well, that explains my aches and pains!

Return to L, R and S