New Photo

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:12 pm

Re: New Photo

I have two- 1952 and 1953 half tons- my favorite trucks next to Internationals. If I knew how to post a picture, I would.- Stickman 207

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:48 am

Nothing to do with trucks but I have read a number of books about George Armstrong Custer and the battle of the Little Big Horn in particular. This is a rare photo of him with a Confederate prisoner during the Civil War that has been colorized. The color to me really brings the man to life and I find it fascinating!

7420164-0-image-a-47_1544780829236.jpg
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:28 pm

rare photo

WOW! way cool , thanks for sharing..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:29 am

Custer with ex-classmate, friend, and captured Confederate prisoner, Lieutenant James Barroll Washington, an aide to General Johnston, at Fair Oaks, Virginia, 1862. Interesting, for sure.
I was reading Custer did not graduate with his class at West Point because he failed. When there was a shortage of persons to lead in "the war" Custer was picked as a last choice. His career was marked with his ego. One of the tragic stories is that of the horse Don Jaun, Custer was riding. The story suggests he had taken the horse and his poor gun handling had him shooting and killing the horse while he was aiming at a bison.
Custer was an antihero in every meaning of the word.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

IHC

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:52 am

Thanks for the photo and the history lesson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:40 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Custer with ex-classmate, friend, and captured Confederate prisoner, Lieutenant James Barroll Washington, an aide to General Johnston, at Fair Oaks, Virginia, 1862. Interesting, for sure.
I was reading Custer did not graduate with his class at West Point because he failed. When there was a shortage of persons to lead in "the war" Custer was picked as a last choice. His career was marked with his ego. One of the tragic stories is that of the horse Don Jaun, Custer was riding. The story suggests he had taken the horse and his poor gun handling had him shooting and killing the horse while he was aiming at a bison.
Custer was an antihero in every meaning of the word.

It was in the Civil War that Custer excelled and rose to to the rank of Brevet General. Early on when the Union was doing poorly in the war it was his fearless cavalry charges that routed Confederate troops and made him the darling of the generals and he quickly rose in rank. After the war when the army down sized he retained the permanent rank of Colonel and was assigned to the western frontier where he met his fate at the battle of the "Greasy Grass" as the Sioux called it. His actions at that battle and the court martial inquiries after are a study of his ego maniacal personalty and are interesting to me. His reputation somewhat sullied at the time from that inquiry was eventually deified by his widow Libby who spent the rest of her life promoting the virtue of her husband and creating the myth that surrounds him to this day. Benteen most certainly delayed support and reinforcement to Custer on Last Stand Hill and eliminated any chance of his survival. like the rest of his subordinates there was no love lost between them. I also find it interesting that Custer had his eyes on the presidency at the time and how history might have changed had he lived gained the office of the president.
56 S120 4x4,
Previous

Return to L, R and S