L-110 heater paint

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:46 pm

Re: L-110 heater paint

Rustolium could give off a nasty smell when warmed up. At least the fish oil brushable varieties do. Use japan drier additive if going that route

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:59 pm

BS
Where do persons come up with this stuff. Very few if any paints are odour free. It is unlikely a person will be painting the heater core. If the heater case is painted on a warm day the case should be close to odour free in a day or so.
I doubt there are any fish oil paints being sold.. Siccative dryer may be OK if it is compatible with the paint.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:35 pm

The good thing about my truck is the old truck funk hides all the other smells, even when I've had bean burrito's for lunch. :whistling2:
56 S120 4x4,

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:08 am

nikkinutshop wrote:BS
Where do persons come up with this stuff. Very few if any paints are odour free. It is unlikely a person will be painting the heater core. If the heater case is painted on a warm day the case should be close to odour free in a day or so.
I doubt there are any fish oil paints being sold.. Siccative dryer may be OK if it is compatible with the paint.

Hi please don’t take this the wrong way this reply is meant to be informative and not confrontational. There is no BS in my claim. I realize I’m fng here but I do have over 25 years of collision industry experience and have held I-CAR platinum certificates most of that time. I have been a paid expert witness in cases of industry professionals being injured by shop owner/corporate ignorance regarding safety of employees and exposure to VOC’s. It has been proven oil based paint releases fumes called volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These fumes can cause headaches, sickness, dizziness and a possible blackout. This has happened to me personally working for a guy and we painted dumpsters in a non ventilated home made spray chamber heated by a wood stove. All I was provided was a single strap dusk mask. I was found unconscious after using the oil based paint for a few hours of exposure. According to the U.S. Environment Protection Agency, or EPA, oil-based paints also can irritate the eyes and skin, even causing the skin to crackle. Removing these fumes and the smell can be difficult. Oil-based paints dry slowly. 14-26 weeks. The thicker the coating of paint, the longer the paint will take to dry. Reduce the smell by taking steps while painting and try some basic mitigation steps afterward to remove the smell quickly. Now this information is available from U.S. government websites. I see you’re in Canada and may not have access to information regarding health and safety information about different products required to be in the MSDS system here in the U.S. I suggest you look up the product I.D. and research the ppe needed and follow instructions closely. Contact manufacturer if you are unclear of intended uses of products and never use them inappropriately. I have seen firsthand the pain and suffering caused by respiratory issues and cancer in the industry to the individuals and their families. Just walk into any paint shop supply store and tell them what project you are working on and they can tell you what supplies and products are needed for your particular application. They can print out the MSDS sheet for you as well. Happy to answer any questions best I can if you have them. I would probably use a fullthane or urethane based paint for the heater box. It’s a great hobby and enjoy your project time!
Previous

Return to L, R and S