'52 L-112 Muffler supports

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:11 pm

'52 L-112 Muffler supports

Hey All, I am getting my frame close to being able to roll it out of my shop and was wondering about the muffler support. I only have one that was bolted to the frame when I started the tear down( located well in front of the rear axle) is that all that came from the factory? Did the exhaust pipe end close to the rear fender well? I have a spare that i am reconditioning to match the original( with new hanger ends) but see no holes for it to be bolted to the frame....

Thanks, Terrell
Columbia, Mo.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Re: '52 L-112 Muffler supports

Surely you jest? Those Old IHC frames are full of holes from the factory. For you and you application, the cross-member just behind the rear axle could be a good option for the last hanger. You local muffler shop should be able to sell you some better rubber suspended exhaust hangers. These hangers are simple and do not need an explanation on how to.
I like to make my own exhaust supports and make them better than the OEM. Pictures later.
The one picture is of one of three hanger points on my 1940 Ford. I like the Mercedes style rubber oval hangers.
The other picture is of the crossmember behind the rear axle. The Cummins exhaust system will have the last hanger on this x-member.
What you see mounted on the x-member is two Holland-Neway leveling valves for air springs. The visible fuel tank is a 1990 something Chevy/GM van fuel tank. It fits between the frame rails.
Attachments
LEVELING VALVES - Copy.jpg
This is the crossmember just behind the rear axle.
Exhaust front suspension 2.jpg
There are two other hanger points no picture, maybe
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Nick, i’m not saying that I couldn’t find anywhere to put the second muffler support bracket,I was just wondering out loud if Ihc installed one from the factory. I have added a picture of my original bracket and the new support bracket that I got from the muffler shop and will join the two.
Thanks for the input, T
Attachments
DAB9A086-0609-4115-BA7A-D3BCA9011536.jpeg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:46 pm

I remember that bracket. I may have one in storage.
When you terminate the exhaust pipe at the back, have it exit to the rear of the fender on the right side. You should avoid having exhaust exit behind the truck. There is a low pressure area behind the tailgate when the truck is moving forward. When you stop much of the exhaust that was dragged along will waft over the truck and it stinks.
I exited the exhaust on my 1940 Ford out and to the right, behind the fender. An exhaust tip turn-down is another good idea. that may help keep the corrosive exhaust off your paint and fender.
I put a FLOW-MASTER muffler on my R120. These SD engines have a really nice sound. The R120 was 3" from the manifold to the back.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Parts book shows 3 hangers- https://app.box.com/s/otkihx6yoa/file/334873036

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Return to L, R and S