radiator question

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:39 am

radiator question

I've finally been driving my L110 after for four years or so of ownship. However, I've been adding coolant to near the cap periodically and checking prior to each drive. What is the full fill level?
If it isn't supposed to be leaking at the top after driving 8-10 miles, then I've either been overfilling or it's developed a leak. I'm guessing it's an original radiator, I really wouldn't know. I hope I don't need to buy another, but if I must purchase new does anybody have experience with the following brand/model or should I consider another brand/model? I admit I haven't printed the pics from online to compare to my current radiator so I'm just depending on the seller to tell me it's going to fit my 51 L110.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-core-aluminu ... Swv0tVW3RZ

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:16 pm

Re: radiator question

How's your radiator cap? New? 5-7 psi? If it's rating is too high the pressure may create leaks you would not otherwise have. If the spring tension is gone altogether and can't maintain the 5-7 then coolant can escape past the cap and out the overflow port for lack of any kind of seal. I'd start with a good look at the cap and replace it if you have any doubts.

I usually leave my coolant an inch and a half below the filler hole. Enough to cover the core but also enough for expansion.

Edit: A new correct radiator cap solved all my radiator problems on my 56, hope it's as simple for you too!
56 S120 4x4,

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Does your radiator have the overflow tube installed? If you fill to the top, when it gets hot it will overflow out the tube onto the ground.
A new cap does not seem like a bad idea. My S132 runs with about 1-1/2" of space at the top. If I put my finger in the hole, I can just touch the water. If I put more in, it just comes out.
As a kid I was taught that as long as you had water covering the top of the fins, it was good to go.
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:23 pm

you are overfilling it, nowhere for expansion, about an inch to inch and a half below top,
it will burp out the over filled every time, you can put a catch bottle on overflow, but it won't keep it from burping off too full of coolant
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:45 pm

Great, I'll keep an eye on it at about those recommended levels. I haven't noticed an overflow exit, I'll check tonight. It's been seeping out from the top in the middle of the radiator--above the fins so the metal overlap from the top prevents any visible check to determine how it's exiting--once it's been run around at least a few miles. No issue with the cap as it's not leaking around there at all (too bad, sounds like!).

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:06 pm

I can comment on those 3 core radiators on eBay. I had to buy one for my 53 R112. The holes needed to be drilled a little bigger and the shroud has to be shimmed but otherwise it fit and works well. For the price I’m pleased.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:50 am

That doesn't sound too bad,, especially for the cheaper price they have listed. Thank you for the input!

nrowles wrote:I can comment on those 3 core radiators on eBay. I had to buy one for my 53 R112. The holes needed to be drilled a little bigger and the shroud has to be shimmed but otherwise it fit and works well. For the price I’m pleased.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 am

Yeah the local rad shop wanted $650 to recore the original one. It wasn't that important to keep the rad original.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:35 pm

For the price the Champion is the way to go. I cut some off some of the lower should out to make a tight fit. Also made a pattern and drilled holes accordingly. I think they work great. I run a 4lbs cap.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:18 pm

nrowles wrote:I can comment on those 3 core radiators on eBay. I had to buy one for my 53 R112. The holes needed to be drilled a little bigger and the shroud has to be shimmed but otherwise it fit and works well. For the price I’m pleased.

I concur with this review
Next

Return to L, R and S