Need some help with a 53 R-120

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: Need some help with a 53 R-120

In Texas we have yearly safety inspections. if you are lucky enough to live in one of the more populated counties, then there is emissions inspections as well. And if your vehicle is 1995 or older, it has to be put on rollers, which finding a place that still has those is a challenge. you also have to show proof of insurance to get your car inspected.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 29, 2014 3:43 pm

I grew up in Va. and they had and still have yearly safety inspections. I don't know about the emissions testing there since I've lived in other states since 1971. Florida used to have safety inspections until the early '80's and did away with them as computers started controlling everything and popular opposition won out. There have been some efforts to bring back the safety inspections but to no avail. A trooper can cite you for faulty equipment if he detects it. Some heavily populated counties have emissions testing, but the county I live in does not. (This county, BTW, is larger - sq. miles - than the state of Delaware!)
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 29, 2014 9:01 pm

Well Nikki, I for one do not share your love of "new electronically controlled engines". I love my old point ignition type engines, manual transmissions, manual windows and all the rest of those minor eccentricities. I like the fact that I don't need to lug a laptop out to my car/truck to figure out why fuel mileage is down or my power is a bit off. If you tried to eliminate non computer controlled vehicles we would be completely over run with hondas and toyotas etc. What would happen to sweet old cars like my friend's '68 Falcon (98% original) numbers matching? My 1953 Austin A40, or 1933 Morris 10 would be nothing more than museum pieces. Sorry but that idea ain't going to fly, mine are driven! I live within 30 minutes of the Reynolds Alberta museum so yes I do see where time capsule cars belong, but they also belong out on the street which is why so many of us car enthusiasts got into the hobby in the first place. I am a firm believer in the phrase "Educate DON'T legislate!" teach people how to maintain their vehicles and they will be less of a problem in polluting.
Vehicles;
1953 R130
3 X 1952-'54 Austin A40 Somsersets

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 29, 2014 9:40 pm

dubseven wrote:Found a sender here: https://travelallparts.com/products/?vi ... &pid=18466

I wonder if this sender actually works with our fuel gauge? Has there been any tests done for this sending unit?
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 29, 2014 10:01 pm

So, dubseven, did you ever get an answer to your original question?
Attachments
EZ fix.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Previous

Return to L, R and S