Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:00 am

Re: Flywheel Questions

WOW! Thanks Scottso!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:41 pm

There is typically a ball or pin in the the flywheel used for timing. I doubt the flywheel can be flipped and installed on the other side since I think the dowels in the Crank only fit one way for alignment. I may be wrong

As Niki said, measure transmission shaft dia that fits pilot bearing and measure ID of new clutch disc and have a shaft tool machined to align clutch disc with pilot bearing when installing the clutch plate. They may sell a plastic version of this tool. I had one turned from aluminum.

Pain in the Arse since you have to hold the pressure plate, clutch disc, and alignment tool up under bell housing...plus install bolts into flywheel. My motor and bell housing was hanging on an engine hoist, so that made it easier then laying under the truck. I used a floor jack and a carrier made from wood to support transmission when aligning and installing. Extra hands are best. Don't want to bend anything from the weight of the tranny.
Attachments
IMG_2801.JPG
IMG_2809.JPG
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:50 pm

I see the kits Scottso posted have the alignment tool included. That's nice they do that.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:08 pm

You don't flip the flywheel, you take the ring gear off the flywheel flip it over and put it back on the flywheel. The best way to put it on is heat it all the way around (which expands it) the quickly put it back on the flywheel before it has time to cool.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:46 pm

This is a great thread. The info provided by everyone, especially all the amazing part lookup by Scottso (Thanks!) is invaluable. It would be cool if a few (not too many) of the most common subjects such as "L, R, S Clutches" or "Pickup Brakes" could be pinned to the top like "Parts Link". That would keep it easy for guys like me who work better with an internal combustion engine than a search engine. Now that I write this down I suppose I answered my own suggestion: we use the "Parts Link" more. Duh!

Maybe when we reply to someones question with part numbers, we should really post them first to the "Parts Link" pinned thread then reply to the original question with a link the the "Parts Link". That way Scottso's valuable (and time consuming I'm sure) parts lookup stays where people can easily find it, and doesnt hide away in some thread called "Flywheel Questions".

Anyway... just me rambling. You guys are great - keep all the good ideas coming!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:07 am

Great Idea! Well said, Oldstuff! That way everyone can easily access the part number information Scottso and others
generously provide.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Hello fellow IHC fans. This is an attempt to resurrect and old thread about repairing a clutch. I didn't want to start a new one because this one has a lot of great info and knowledgeable folks who wrote on it.

So, I'm doing some tranny work and was suggested by another member to do the clutch while I'm in there. Good idea, but I know nothing about clutches. I would like to get the necessary parts before I remove it, if it can, but I'm not 100% sure what all the part names refer top. What I've learned from this forum, and my service manual, is that I have a Rockford RK-10B clutch. I'm assuming this means I have a 10'' pressure plate. Now is it true I can replace it with an 11'' pressure plate since the flywheel is drilled to accept both sizes? I also know I need to have the flywheel resurfaces. What about bearings? The service manual speaks nothing about bearings but I have read and been told I should replace the release bearing, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. Are all these bearings different or are they just being called various things?

The work:
Is this something I can do without any special tools, gauges, or jigs? The service manual refers to a special jig to overhaul the clutch and a gauge for measuring spring pressure, or something of the sort.

The link below is form another member (I think from this thread on a previous page). I know it's for a 12'' pressure plate but they also make an 11'' and I think a 10''. If I got the right size would this be everything I need? Scottso also gave some great links, on a previous page of this thread, to many other suppliers for parts that would work for me. (Two of the links for Fort Wayne Clutch are not working)

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... DetailTab_

Thanks for the help and advise.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Others will more than likely reply, but here is the fortwayne info: http://fortwayneclutch.com/
As for the different size clutch itself, you will need the pressure plate to work with the size you get.
These generally come as a set like the link you posted. If you are pulling your transmission, and are going to do work on it, I believe you can probably order the clutch kit after you have it off. It will take a little time for some shop to surface your flywheel. You should not need any special tools to do the clutch. Once you have the trans and clutch/flywheel off, check on any soft plugs that might be behind them to ensure that they are still good. royal pain to deal with after you have already had it all apart and now have to do again because it starts to leak. Just a thought. As you are about to find out, one thing generally leads to more things, you can or should check on or need to do. These are old vehicles and lots of times, besides just sitting, they often did not get all the "maintenance" they needed. If you have your truck up on Good quality jack stands and blocks, look for all the grease points and hit them with grease. you may need to pull the zerk to "clean" out the old hard grease.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Release bearing and throwout bearing are two names for the same thing.
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Thank you Ibesp and Dean446. Looks like Fort Wayne does not carry the clutch I need anymore, based on the part numbers from Scottso on a previous page of this thread. Pretty sure I'm going to go with this one, http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=534336, and looks to have the two bearings I need to replace. Based on what I've read I can put the 11'' kit in while using the same flywheel, after having it resurfaced.

I was doing some more research and video watching of clutch replacement, things are starting to make more sense. However, the process of removing the clutch currently in the truck is still a foggy for me. The manual talks about inserting three capscrews to compress the pressure plate for removal and installation. So, once these three screws are in and tightened, I can then remove the cover retaining screws and the the whole clutch assembly will be able to be pulled off? Do I really need to do this if I'm replacing the pressure plate and cover? Can't I just unbolt the thing and pull it off?

Thanks all.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S